Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

What's the best camera for.......?

Hi everyone!

I am looking for a camera that will take nice macro images as well as images of smaller critters such as dart frogs, geckos and even insects. The plan is to use those images in cataloging, referencing and as visual aids. Of course the camera will also be used for general picture taking, landscapes, other wildlife and occasionally attached to a spotting scope. The camera must also have decent video capabilities for documenting small wildlife activities. I know many DSLRs have these features which leaves a plethora of choices. Since I already own a really nice Minolta 35mm SLR camera I have a few lenses. This has made me consider the Sony NEX5. I like that it is small (portable), with an adapter it will use my existing lenses and it shoot 1080p video. With that said, some of my travel destinations will be rain forests, this may not be ideal for that. So I am looking for some recommendations in $500 -$800 range..... Thanks!
    Last edited by thercman; 07-28-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time science has proven that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.

Re: What's the best camera for.......?

What Minolta lenses do you have? Are they AF? - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

They are AF lenses. I believe 70-210mm, 35-70mm....
    Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time science has proven that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.

The f/4 version (beercan & little beercan) versions are very nice and they will AF with a Sony DSLR/SLT (though not with the NEX).

You have put together a tough list here. Small, macro, long focal length, low light, video and weather sealed for <$800. All of these involve compromise in equipment and, especially, in $. To put together a system that excelled in all these areas would cost thousands. Your not going to get weather sealed in this price range (I think Olympus would be the place to start if this is real important), but modern cameras are tougher than most realize. A $20 rain cover and you can handle most anything that you would want to shoot in.

I'm a Sony guy, so biased, but I would look at the Sony A33 or A55. With your two lenses plus a 50mm (<$100) and maybe the kit lens, you should be able to get a good start on your goals. You won't have true macro (1:1 magnification), but the 35-70 f/4 will get quite close with a 1:4 magnification. These two cameras are the only ones with decent (Phase Detect) AF in video, though they are not camcorders.

The NEX is still an option, though all lenses other than the new E-mount will be manual focus. That's not as bad as it sounds - especially for the macro/close up work.

I hope I've given you something to think about. Keep asking questions. If the questions are brand specific, try the brand forums.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks Terry!

I was spending hours last night reading reviews of different brands and models offered. It is overwhelming to say the least. The Sony A33 looked promising. Seems to have good features for the money. Many people had videos posted on YouTube they took using that camera. Pretty good for what it is. The A33 would give me the ability to keep my lenses. Not sure about my flash though. If I decide to purchase that one I can buy it body only and purchase a macro lens. Or do you think it would be better to get a kit lens and a 1:4 magnifier?

My wife bought me the Minolta in 97' while we were stationed in Japan. At the time it was pretty nice. Around 1k for the body. Anyway, I used it quite a bit but mostly in auto mode (good pictures). I could blow through some film messing with the settings and not end up with what I was after. However with a digital SLR I could probably take more advantage of the features they offer without spending huge cash on film and processing. Also it will be nice just plug-in and put images right into the computer.

With all that said I am open to any suggestions. I have also thought about selling the Minolta which in immaculate condition but I have no idea what I could get for it....
    Greg

Thread Information