Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

My first DSLR: Canon Rebel T21 or Nikon d5000 plus question on lenses

This is my first post to this forum. Nice to meet all of you. I have many, many questions and I hope that someone will have the time to answer as much of what I ask as possible.

First some Background

Never owned a SLR or DSLR. I currently own a Canon G6 Powershot point-and-shoot camera. Being that I am not a serious photographer one would think that such a simple camera would suit my needs.

However, I do run my own website and forum and as PRESS I go out to conventions every year where I take photographs for the website.

What made me decide an DSLR was right for me was because I was with three friends that had DSLR cameras. We were at Comic-Con this year and herded into large auditoriums where we had to take pictures from the back of the room. These guys were snapping on telephoto lenses and getting really tight close-ups of the speakers on stage while with my point-and-shoot I couldn't even get in nearly as close.

....and then there is picture quality. Seems to be a significant difference in picture quality from a DSLR (even with kit lenses) compared to a point-and-shoot.

After much research on entry DSLR cameras I am down to two choices: The Canon Rebel T2i or the Nikon d5000. The Nikon seems to be the better deal. However, I own a Canon Speedlight that I use on my G6 and I would rather not have to buy a new speedlight for the Nikon.

Can't really tell which of the two cameras is better. The Nikon is highly rated and comes close to the more expensive D90. The Canon has more megapixels but I hear more megapixels bring out flaws in the lenses that come with the kit.

I decided to purchase KITS from either Best Buy or One Call. The reason I chose these outlets is financing. I can finance purchases made from these sites.

So, I have questions about the following two cameras....

Nikon d5000

Looking at the Nikon d5000 kits at Best Buy.

There seems to be two body/lens kits at a rather significant price difference.

The first kit, the lower priced one is here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+D5...5000&lp=2&cp=1

It features camera and extra 55-200mm Vibration reduction zoom lens for $950

The second kit is much pricier:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+D5...5000&lp=1&cp=1

It features camera and extra 70-300mm AF-S VR Telephoto lens for $1270

Would you recommend the pricier kit?

Canon Rebel T2i

Canon doesn't have as an elaborate kit as the Nikon.

Their kit is located here:

Canon - EOS Rebel T2i 18.0-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black - Rebel T2i Kit

I would need a telephoto lens as well. I would suppose that this is the one that I should opt to purchase:

Canon - 55-250mm f/4-5.6 Telephoto Zoom Lens for Select Canon Cameras - 2044B002

What do you think of this Canon Package?

Realize, this is my first DSLR. I want to take impressive photos but I'm not looking to buy the most expensive lenses out there, that is, unless you guys feel these lenses would not suit me well at all.

Look forward to your advice. Thank you in advance.

Re: My first DSLR: Canon Rebel T21 or Nikon d5000 plus question on lenses

Perhaps this will be easier on myself and everyone:

If I go with the Canon Rebel T21

This camera and lens:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+...ract_desc=null

Plus this telephoto lens:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon%20...&ref=39&loc=01

Total cost: $1550

If I go with the Nikon d5000:

The camera and lens:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+...5000&cp=1&lp=2

Plus the telephoto lens:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+...=1173578368318

Total Cost: $1350

The Nikon seems to be a way better deal but I will have you guys check out those specs.
    The price difference is negligible for me as I would have to buy a speedlight for the Nikon
    and I already own a Canon speedlight.

All I want to do is take good indoor/outdoor photos and have a great zoom lens when
    I need it.

Re: My first DSLR: Canon Rebel T21 or Nikon d5000 plus question on lenses

The d5000 has fewer lens options with its lack of built in AF motor. Many great lens' are rendered obsolete without AF, such as the excellent Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. You can still use all the Nikon lens, but unless the AF motors built into the lens, you have no auto-focus.

If you only plan on purchasing the one lens, then it doesn't make much difference, but if you want future upgradability then the Nikon is much more limited.

The T2i also has the higher resolution sensor, plus you already have the speedlite. The speedlite would actually work on the Nikon, though only in manual mode (pretty sure anyway, someone correct me if im wrong).

You mentioned taking photos indoors, in which case, the telephoto zooms you linked are pretty slow, I'd reccomend looking into a 70-200 f/2.8 or f/4 at most. Canon/Nikons f/2.8 is pricey though at about $1.9k, but Tamron makes one at ~$750, or, Canon makes their 70-200 f/4 L for about the same price.

Best buy is almost the last place I'd look for gear, KEH.com BHPHoto.com and Adorama.com are 3 places regularly frequented by most of us here, all 3 run a very good business with competitive pricing.

Thread Information