Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Smile Canon SD890 or Panasonic TZ5S

Hi,

I am considering one of the following cameras:
    Canon SD890 IS
    or
    Panasonic TZ5S

Some features important to me:
    9MP resolution or more
    Should take great pictures indoors and in low-light
    Good optical zoom 5x or more
    Continuous/Burst mode is very important to take pics of kids running around.
    Support 4GB or more SD/SDHC cards

Appreciate your opinions.

Re: Canon SD890 or Panasonic TZ5S

Those two cameras are pretty different. The Panasonic Lumix TZ cameras have a lot of zoom range and are a little too big to comfortably fit in a pocket - at least my pockets. But they are very powerful in a fairly cmall package.

The Canon PowerShot SD cameras are all very compact and will easily fit in a pocket. They also have about the best image quality you can get from a pocket-sized digicam. But with the SD890 IS you'll be giving up the long zoom of the TZ5.

In the end, I think you'll likely be pleased with either camera. However, shooting in low light is going to be a problem with any camera. And compact digital cameras are not great with action. For both of those types of photography, no matter what camera you have, learning some good technique is going to be more important than the camera you buy. Better cameras help, but contrary to what the camera companies try to tell us, they don't take the pictures for us. The good news is, there's a lot of experience here and we can help :-)
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Canon SD890 or Panasonic TZ5S

Thanks your information is helpful. But it still does not help me decide.

One thing I checked is the Pany has 2.5FPS for burst mode but only 3 shots, while the Canon has 1.5FPS but unlimited shots. Both at full resolution.

Is there a way to reduce resolution on Canon so its 1.5 FPS rate increases? because the Pany does that.

Thread Information