Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Interesting and timely article by "ByThom"

Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Re: Interesting and timely article by "ByThom"

Camera maker problems seem rather simple.

We had a recession and many have had a hard time rebuilding their incomes.

Cel phones replacing other cameras including DSLRs.... I witnessed sometime after the Digital Rebel a lot of people I know get one or similar product. They turned it on green mode and got snapshots and crapshots with greater ease or a little better than their old slow earlier digicams. As soon as they had iPhone 4's, Droid X's, Galaxies those were doing same as their entry level DSLRs gathering dust.

Also, there came quality p+s cameras we didn't imagine earlier. I noticed for two years I mostly traveled with a little waterproof Pentax and quality Panasonic with nice Leica lens. They sort of did what none of my other gear or camcorders did.

So much good gear has been around that I had no need to upgrade for a while. I borrowed or rented a few times a year.

I finally just spent money again because the 70D camera and STM lenses got things where I was wanting them. I'd probably have put off the purchase if I didn't have a particular trip coming and desire to start a video and still documentary of our ski club season.

When I saw this article linked earlier I polled some associates who all rushed to get DSLRs in the past 10 years. One of them is still actively using his DSLR stuff. One pro uses his iPhone when not working. Another uses a PhaseOne system where I think he's now dropped something like $75,000. I counted 5 others where entry level DSLRs are sitting doing nothing while their Apple and Samsung phones post to Facebook.

Bitflogger, you touched on some interesting points. I have maintained for a very long time now that the majority of dslr buyers are not pro's and leave it on auto or scene hoping to get better pictures than with their point and shoot. In many cases they are no better and never will be because they just don't have the interest in learning how to use the camera in manual modes. If dslr camera manufacturers want to increase dslr sales they need to focus on this segment of the market and not on the professional segment, since they already have what they want or need. The masses can now take very decent pictures with their I phones, find a way for them to take professional quality pictures with a dslr in auto or scene and watch sales go up again.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Now let me see:

- The masses are using smartphones to share directly to Facebook instead of making prints which they put in albums which are never shown. Can't complain about that
    - The enthusiasts - the ones who spend time on every photo and would never publish directly to Facebook - are getting better and better cameras. Can't complain about that either
    - Then there are the inbetweens. They would like to do better photos like the enthusiasts but as they think it should be easy they don't usually manage to. They are getting a huge choice of odd devices. Superzoom bridges, slot-on camera modules for smartphones, low-end DSLR's and mirrorless.. OK so what?

Cameramakers had better get on with making cameras for the inbetweens with a post-to-Facebook button
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Cameramakers had better get on with making cameras for the inbetweens with a post-to-Facebook button
    True. My routine in computer software takes time to fix shadows and few appreciate those posts.

P.S. I haven't tried or don't know if Facebook will take a big raw file. I know most print services I tried do not.

I adjust just about every image to give it the look I want. The inbetweens don't care or don't understand the need. Which doesn't prevent them from doing some great images.

In fact the inbetweens have a much wider choice of cameras than we do. I looked at the Sony QX10 module for smartphones - until I realised it couldn't do RAW.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information