Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Which lens; Sigma 400mm f/5.6 or Nikon 300mm f/4.5 AI-s?

So I would like to do some wildlife photography with my NEX5n. I have been buying Nikon AI-s lenses from eBay and getting great results from them. Both of these lenses are manual focus which is going to limit me a bit but that's okay as it allows me to learn. Also it allows me to get better glass for the money spent. With that said, there are reviews out there about the Nikon lens giving it good marks. The Sigma on the other hand I haven't been able to find. I have found reviews on the AF versions but not the older MF's. I wonder if the optics are of the same quality or if they have changed? Which would give me better images? Is it better to have the extra 100mm? Also, shooting with this sensor doesn't that make the 400mm actually closer to 600mm and something similar with the 300mm? If so the 300mm would probably be plenty.... Help....
    Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time science has proven that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.

Re: Which lens; Sigma 400mm f/5.6 or Nikon 300mm f/4.5 AI-s?

After further reading another lens review said the Nikon Ai-s wasn't that great and that the ED version is much better. With that said it is also $200 more used, ouch. Anyway, lets make this more general. Is the Sigma 400mm a good lens? I am planning to bid on it and want some opinions as to its quality. The guy selling it said the older version weren't as good and his is a newer model. Of course that was bias. lol Will either of these make for a good starter wildlife lens? Will the extra 100mm help considerably?
    Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time science has proven that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.

Thread Information