• 12-14-2004, 10:22 AM
    kes
    Medium-format and View Cameras
    I finished reading two books on these film cameras, and would like to read about their digital versions. Can you suggest web sites or books?
  • 12-14-2004, 11:53 AM
    Photo-John
    Not Sure What you Mean
    I'm not sure what you mean by "their digital versions." Are you asking about using digital backs on medium format and large format cameras? There is a review section for digital backs on this site, although I confess I haven't updated it for a while.

Most of the current professional interest is for high-end digital SLRs. The resolution of the best digital SLRs is beginning to compete with 645 medium format cameras and the investment is a lot less. Plus, you have the benefits of a smaller, lighter camera, with faster, longer, and less expensive lenses. The real benefit of using digital backs with large or medium format cameras is in the studio. If you want to shoot completely noise-free images with scanning backs, or you need the movements of a view camera, then digital backs are the way to go. The absolute best image quality comes from multi-pass digital backs. There is essentialy no noise. But you'll be investing upwards of $10,000 US, and you can't shoot anything with movement as it takes three passes for the camera to capture a single image.
  • 12-14-2004, 02:05 PM
    darkman
    Re: Not Sure What you Mean
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    But you'll be investing upwards of $10,000 US, and you can't shoot anything with movement as it takes three passes for the camera to capture a single image.

There's a couple of field-able 22Mp ~645 size back available. They're not multipass either. However, the start at around $25k...
  • 12-14-2004, 02:10 PM
    kes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm not sure what you mean by "their digital versions." Are you asking about using digital backs on medium format and large format cameras? There is a review section for i

Thanks. Your web page on digital backs, however much out of date, is more than I had this morning. I infer from your reply that there is no such thing as a digital 645 format camera. I guess one starts with a film camera and uses a digital back as an accessory in the film camera.

I am simply satisfying my curiosity. I thought perhaps there might be the equivalent of "DP Review" for these larger cameras and their digital backs.
  • 12-14-2004, 02:40 PM
    kes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darkman
    There's a couple of field-able 22Mp ~645 size back available. They're not multipass either. However, the start at around $25k...

Can you send me to a web site for further reading?
  • 12-14-2004, 03:36 PM
    another view
    Re: Medium-format and View Cameras
    There's a big difference between medium and large format. Not the obvious one ;) , but the fact that large format (4" x 5" and larger) cameras generally have "movements". This way you can alter the perspective of your subject. One example would be to keep a building from looking like it's falling away from you just because the camera's tilted up. You can also change the amount of depth of field.

If you need the control of a large format camera, you're probably best to shoot film and scan it. Scanning backs for LF are available but I don't know anything about them other than they're extremely expensive and take long exposure times. I think they kind of work like a flatbed scanner works - that's why the exposure has to be so long. Probably limited to studio product or architectural photography because of this.

I read recently that Hasselblad came out with a digital-only version of their fairly new H1 system. That's a lot of money to spend on something that's not as versatile as a MF SLR with a digital back, so you can still shoot film. Most systems (like Hasselblad, Mamiya) have digital backs available.
  • 12-14-2004, 03:40 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kes
    I thought perhaps there might be the equivalent of "DP Review" for these larger cameras and their digital backs.

DPwhat? ;)

You're correct. There is no dedicated medium format digital camera. You buy your medium format system and a digital back, separately. And there aren't really any sites that I'm aware of that are specifically about digital backs. The reality is that they're so expensive and so specialized that they wouldn't support a dedicated community site. And as I said before, digital SLRs have gotten so good, that they're fulfilling most of the purpose that digital backs were originally designed for. Your best bet for specific information are the manufacturer's sites, which you'll find links for in the reviews.

Here's a professional site that I like. It has a forum dedicated to digital backs, although that forum isn't very active:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/

Good luck with your research!
  • 12-15-2004, 01:25 PM
    kes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    There's a big difference between medium and large format. Not the obvious one ;) , but the fact that large format (4" x 5" and larger) cameras generally have "movements"...

Thanks for comparing the engineering of MF and view cameras with DSLRs. I do not have a bezillion dollars to buy one of these MF backs, but I am trying to satisfy my curiosity about how photographers made two books about Indiana's (U.S.) covered bridges and other out-of-the-way places. A TV documentary showed a photographer standing in a wood and beside a huge camera. Perhaps he used film and a scanner.

Another TV documentary showed a photographer with a big camera, laptop, and a cable between the two. What is that about? Was he in the field with a too small memory card?
  • 12-15-2004, 02:04 PM
    another view
    The first one was most likely shooting film and scanning it after processing. There are still quite a few people who shoot LF although I'm not one of them. I may try it someday myself; I've always been interested in it.

The camera connected to the laptop could have been a medium format with a digital back, I think most of them are used this way because each file is so large. Some of them use memory cards but most don't. Usually they're shot in a studio so it's really not an issue - plus then you have the LCD on the laptop to confirm the shot.
  • 12-16-2004, 03:57 PM
    darkman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kes
    Can you send me to a web site for further reading?

Here's a link to check out. BTW, there are digital ready MF cameras. These are designed so the camera can transmit its information to the back and it can be viewed as EXIF data. Mamiya and Hassy both make digital ready MF's.

Follow this for a list of backs:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE....node3=720-030

There's a couple of 6x8 MF cameras that have perspective control:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=153505&is=REG

I've always wanted one of these!

Also check out this for reviews of MF with digi backs:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...1-vs-p25.shtml

Mike
  • 12-16-2004, 04:13 PM
    racingpinarello
    http://pdnonline.com/photodistrictne..._id=1000649384

This is one of the few dedicated MF film cameras, I believe.

I'm not sure why somebody would want a digital only MF camera. Having a digital back is a great way to add versality to your camera by having film and digital capabilities. The Leaf22 with a 645 size sensor allows full frame coverage.

I have a RZ67, and rent a digital back if I need one. Otherwise I slap the film backs on it.

If anybody has $30k laying around can pick one up.

Loren
  • 12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
    kes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by racingpinarello

I'm not sure why somebody would want a digital only MF camera. Having a digital back is a great way to add versality to your camera by having film and digital capabilities. The Leaf22 with a 645 size sensor allows full frame coverage.
    Loren

My thanks to all who replied. You enlightened me about the different permutations which are available in this area of photography. I can return to books on MF and V cameras with a greater understanding about what I am reading. Galbraith's site will keep me busy for a while.