Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Lumix LX5 Light Meter

I have the Panasonic LX5 and have a question regarding the light meter in manual mode. In manual mode with the aperture set at 4.0, I adjust the shutter speed accordingly for exposure, but notice that if the needle is anywhere on the meter but 0, one click of the dial moves the needle, however, once the needle is on 0, it seems I have about 3-5 clicks, left or right, where the needle remains on 0. Why is this?

Thanks in advance.

somegeek

Re: Lumix LX5 Light Meter

That doesn't sound right. The needle should move left or right according to your exposure change - unless you're in Program, aperture priority or shutter priority. On full manual, any change should be reflected in the meter. Have you taken pictures to see if the exposure is changing when the meter reading doesn't?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks, John! ISO was on auto. From 1/320 up to 1/80 the ISO adjusted from 320 to 80 while keeping the needle on 0. When I manually set the ISO to 80, every click of the dial moves the needle left or right.

Working to use manual mode more vs Auto and learning as I go.

somegeek

Glad you figured it out and glad nothing is wrong. Thanks for following up so the rest of us know. Auto ISO is a good thing to keep in mind with exposure weirdness. I confess, I've been confused by it myself under similar circumstances
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information