Lumix OR Canon

Printable View

• 11-18-2011, 02:30 AM
    0ptics
    Lumix OR Canon
    Hello everyone,

I'm completely new to photography and would like to start it just as a hobby, I think my main focus would be people, scenery, and landscape. I was planning to purchase a bridge camera, either Canon Powershot SX40 HS or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 but still not completely sure which one to get. I'm leaning toward the Lumix because of reviews, but both seem to be great. But I would like some input from others before spending $400ish. Here are a few questions that will help me determine which one...

1) I don't know anything about camera processors, but a lot of people were saying that the Canon SX40 has the DIGIC 5 processor and its suppose to be the "main selling point". No one has mentioned anything about Lumix FZ150's Venus processor, but I'm sure its great as well, but should processors be the game changer for cameras?

2) Reviews mentioned that the Lumix FZ150 allows people to take RAW and JPEG files, while Canon SX40 only takes JPEGs. As a new photographer do RAW images really make a difference in IQ? I read about the difference between them and saw some examples on a few websites, but it didn't see that different.

And just a side question, does a Class 10 SD card affect how fast the camera takes a picture/shutter speed? If so, would getting a lower class SD not be a good decision?

Thanks!
    0ptics
  • 11-18-2011, 05:43 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Lumix OR Canon
    I think you should consider a mirrorless camera. Olympus m4/3rd or a Sony Nex. Those will give you more lens options for the future, DSLR quality pictures and an upgradable system. Probably not that much more money.
  • 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM
    Anbesol
    I agree with Greg. Image quality is much better on a CSC, in fact, those "bridge" cameras are hardly 'bridges'. a mirrorless camera is a much better bridge to pro-grade. If you insist on wasting money on an overpriced point and shoot, then at least get the raw capture. That style of superzoom is a pointless category of camera now, they only stay around because they still sell, even though its a poor tech use.
  • 11-19-2011, 12:21 AM
    Franglais
    I agree with Charlie and Greg that a camera with a larger sensor is a better investment because it gives you better image quality.

I have a Canon compact with the same tiny sensor as in these bridge cameras. Some of my best pictures this year have been done on it (the image quality is actually quite good) but if I have the choice I always take a DSLR.

Bridge cameras do have their uses - my sister has one to go bird-watching, it's light and compact but it has a very long tele setting to reach out and capture a distant subject.

Now to answer your questions:

- Is the image processor a game changer for cameras?

>> The results are what count. The DIGIC5 is new, supposed to be 6x more powerful than the previous generation.. I would wait for a comparison test

- RAW+JPG vs just JPG

>> game changer if you have the time to develop your RAW files afterwards on your computer. Coming out of the camera a RAW and a JPG look identical. The camera has done what it thinks is best in processing the image and applied it to both of them. With a RAW editor you can go back and redo the processing to correct things like light balance, contrast, exposure, fill light, etc. It's possible to adjust a JPG but the result is often yukky. I only shoot RAW. One of the advantages of a larger sensor (start of this post) is that you can go a lot further in correcting things like exposure and contrast. With my compact it's often - "this is a beautiful image but I just can't make it look the way it should"

- Does a class 10 SD card affect how fast the camera takes a picture/shutter speed?

>> Not for a single image. If you were shooting a long burst of images or a video then the camera will stop shooting after a while if it's filled up its internal buffer while waiting to write to a slow SD card. Personally I would go for a Class 10
  • 11-19-2011, 02:59 PM
    0ptics
    Ahhh ya after doing some research I noticed that majority from other forums said that I should purchase a entry-level DSLR. I wasn't expecting to spend more than $400ish,but some people recommended the Nikon 3100, Canon Rebel XS, etc. and I did some research and the Nikon 3100 seemed like the best entry level DSLR, so if you guys have any input to the Nikon D3100 or other entry-level DSLR's that would be much appreciated :D!

Also thanks for the information about the SD and RAW images, ya I think I'll just purchase a Class 10. Also I have Photoshop CS4 and does that open RAW files or am I suppose to use another software?

Thanks again!
    0ptics
  • 11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
    miglla
    Lumix is simply too expensive for the same range compared to nikon and canon
  • 11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
    none133
    i hope you find what you need!
  • 12-01-2011, 10:18 AM
    dbowers
    The class 10 is great if shooting video or bursts of pictures. Personally I am a Canon loyalist. However, my wife has the Lumix and I am stunned at how good that camera is, rather fun to use. Doubt you can go wrong either way.