Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Help me find a digital body for my old lenses

Greetings Y'all,
    I recently dug out a camera we use to use years ago. We would like to use the lenses( 26mm, 55mm and a 80 to 200 zoom) again. The camera is a Minolta "sr T mc-II" I have been looking through the site trying to find out if there are any digital cameras out there that I could use my old Minolta lenses on. We sure would enjoy hearing from anyone who can point us in the right direction. Do you think there would be any interest in this equipment if we were to decide to sell it? If so what would you think it would be worth? Thank you.
    Have fun,
    Buckshot

Re: Help me find a digital body for my old lenses

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
    Greetings Y'all,
    I recently dug out a camera we use to use years ago. We would like to use the lenses( 26mm, 55mm and a 80 to 200 zoom) again. The camera is a Minolta "sr T mc-II" I have been looking through the site trying to find out if there are any digital cameras out there that I could use my old Minolta lenses on. We sure would enjoy hearing from anyone who can point us in the right direction. Do you think there would be any interest in this equipment if we were to decide to sell it? If so what would you think it would be worth? Thank you.
    Have fun,
    Buckshot
    I assume that these are manual focus MD/MC lenses for the SR-mount. They will not fit directly on a modern camera and are probably not worth adapting. It would be better to decide what current camera and lens system best suits your needs and go that route. – Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I use a Minolta MD 50mm Rokkor-X f/1.7 with my Sony NEX-5N, and absolutely love that lens. It's actually my favorite lens, even though I only paid $66 for it (including the adapter!). Many of those old Minolta lenses produce fantastic colors and sharpness, and if you are comfortable with manual focus then using them on a modern DSLR or mirrorless camera would be no different than using them on your old film camera (except that you don't have to worry about wasting money on film for bad shots).

If you want to use your old Minolta lenses with a modern digital camera, you only need to make sure that you get a camera that has a shorter flange distance than the original camera had. The new Micro 4/3rds cameras, the Sony NEX system, and the Samsung NX system all give you the ability to adapt those lenses (though I'm not sure that there are many adapters for the Samsung NX system, as the demand for it isn't as high as m43 or NEX).

Each of these systems has its advantages, and you should spend some time reading up on the reviews before you make any decisions. I chose the Sony NEX-5N, and have been extremely pleased with my decision, but many people prefer the m43 cameras for their particular benefits. Not only could you revitalize your old lenses, but you may find yourself buying into a completely new system before all is said and done.

I am in the same jam :/ Not too sure what to use

Thread Information