Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

looking to buy my first DSLR, recommendations?

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy my first DSLR.
    I would Mainly like to do every day street photography and the pics that come out great, I would like to print the largest possible to hang on my walls in a frame. Because large prints are important, would something like the D3200 which is 24MP something I should be looking at? I was also looking at the Canon T4i because I saw some great holiday prices, but from what I understand, the D3200 would be better for still images and the canon more for movies? any tips greatly appreciated

Re: looking to buy my first DSLR, recommendations?

All of the entry level cameras (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Panasonic, Pentax) will give you excellent images if used correctly. None of them will give excellent images without learning photography. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Buy Canon 560D... That is cheap and best..!

Quote Originally Posted by unaisc View Post
    Buy Canon 560D... That is cheap and best..!
    Do you mean the 650D / T4i? For what it's worth, it's not really cheap and it's not necessarily the best. I would recommend the T3i over the T4i for a still photographer. The main upgrades in the T4i - live view / video AF and the touchscreen display - won't benefit most photographers.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

While it's true that more resolution usually means more detail, I think resolution is an overrated way to judge a camera. Personally, I think 16 to 18 megapixels is the sweet spot for file size and image quality. OldClicker is really right on target when he says any of the entry-level cameras will do a fine job. I could make 20x30 or larger prints from any of them, given proper lighting and good exposure.

I actually just finished updating our entry-level DSLR guide. The D3200 is one of the cameras in the guide but it wouldn't be my top recommendation. As for Canon, if you look at the guide you'll see I didn't even include the T4i. The previous model, the T3i / 600D is still available and for a still photographer, I think it's all you need. You can check out the updated beginner DSLR guide here:

Top Five Beginner Digital SLRs | Camera News & Reviews

Let me know if you have more questions. I realize I'm jumping in here a couple of weeks after you posted. But I'll be around to help if you're still checking your post
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolas11 View Post
    Many DSLR users will say that the brand they use is the only one anyone should buy but there are many excellent cameras at a WIDE range of prices features i would suggest you take a little time to determine what you would like to make pictures and then purchase..
    That is very true. There's a lot of blind brand loyalty with photographers - brand zealotry, even. The truth is, you can't really buy a bad digital SLR anymore. Long gone are the days when there were cameras that couldn't really do the job. Now, even the lowliest DSLR has better image quality than the 35mm film SLRs we used in the nineties. I think the most important things to consider are budget, whether the system you're buying into fits your needs, and what your *real* needs are. Most of us want more than we really need or will use. Be practical, be honest with yourself and don't throw your money away on something you don't need. The best example is that most photographers spend more than they need to on their camera and less than they should on lenses. Ultimately, lenses are always more important than the camera.
    Photo-John

Is the T4i a good starting camera? I am assuming so since it seems a updated version of the T3i.

Like John stated, the T3i is also a very good camera. It will really come down to lenses you will get in the future, be it with a Canon, Nikon or other. Both Canon and Nikon have excellent lens choices down the road.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Mentioned below is the best DSLR list

Nikon D3500.
    Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D.
    Nikon D5600.
    Canon 90D.
    Canon EOS Rebel T7/ 2000D / EOS 1500D.
    Canon EOS Rebel SL3 / EOS 250D / EOS 200D Mark II.
    Pentax K-70.

Thread Information