• 09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
    corei5
    Light Meter and Outdoor photography
    Hello just going to ask a very stupid question about light meter...when taking photos the light meter should alway be in the middle right?

can someone give me some good advice taking photos outdoors please? coz I went to london today but the photos are bit odd even though the light meter was always in the middle.
  • 09-01-2010, 12:38 PM
    Anbesol
    Re: Light Meter and Outdoor photography
    depends on the type of light meter, but the placement usually depends on where and how you want to expose, if the middle is a bright or dark part of the image, no. Is there a specific reason you are not using your in camera metering system?
  • 09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
    CaraRose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol
    depends on the type of light meter, but the placement usually depends on where and how you want to expose, if the middle is a bright or dark part of the image, no. Is there a specific reason you are not using your in camera metering system?

I think they're talking about their in-camera metering system.
  • 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM
    GB1
    Not sure what is meant by "middle" - do you mean in the middle of the frame? You want to place the meter where the light is striking, assuming that is where you want to expose for (as Anbesol mentioned).

The above is what you do 99% of the time. But you could place the meter in a shadow, too, if you wanted to expose for that and blow out the other areas (an unconventional shot...)
  • 09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
    Anbesol
    Ah lol I see, sounded like they were implying a separate light meter to me for some reason. Sorry I may have just confused you more.

Anyway - if its in evaluative mode, than the middle is the goal. But often for more precise manual control its good to use spot or center weighted metering modes. Which mode are you currently using, or do you switch hit them all?
  • 09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
    drg
    What camera first of all?

Many cameras have the capability of tying the metering to a particular AF point or uncoupling it completely. That can make a difference as to what portion of the scene is being evaluated.

Start with the mode of metering that evaluates the majority of the scene as in an Evaluative (Canon) or Matrix (Nikon) and see how that performs to get a good exposure. The 'middle' settings are often Spot or Weighted and are not always the best for every type of image.

A little more info about what you were using may along with a few photo examples help us to diagnose the situation!

Good luck and Welcome to Photography Review!
  • 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM
    corei5
    my camera is 550D i often to used the spot-metering so i dont know if the meter line is accurate or when the meter thing hit the middle "0" is the accurate exposure.

@GB1
    the meter line with (-2 * * -1 * * "0" * * +1 * * +2) the middle is 0. thats the thing im talking about :D
  • 09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
    CaraRose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by corei5
    my camera is 550D i often to used the spot-metering so i dont know if the meter line is accurate or when the meter thing hit the middle "0" is the accurate exposure.

@GB1
    the meter line with (-2 * * -1 * * "0" * * +1 * * +2) the middle is 0. thats the thing im talking about :D

Spot metering is only metering a very small point at the center of the lens. If that area is much darker or lighter than the rest of the shot, you'll end up with the other areas that are either over or under exposed.

The meter line is accurate, but only for that small spot!
  • 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
    corei5
    what is the most used metering option when shooting outside nor inside that calculate all the light in the area/surroundings.
  • 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
    drg
    I would suggest using Evaluative Metering for a start and use the Spot only for extremes until you start getting photos you feel are more consistent.

You can always increase or decrease the the EV numbers (those are the -2 to +2 numbers) as needed to brighten or darken the photographic image.

Spot metering has a specific purpose when there is a huge range of light and dark. Suppose you wish to expose for a very small portion, such as a face or to lighten a dark area that is in shadow. That is a good use for a spot exposure reading. General images, even outdoors, the evaluative or weighted metering is probably better to use to get more photos on average. After you have tried several different type of exposures with different metering modes, the time to use each will become more instinctual.

When using a spot reading, try to expose for the shadow, or darkest area in the scene. If you don't wish to accentuate that area, don't measure it, but something else!
  • 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
    CaraRose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by corei5
    what is the most used metering option when shooting outside nor inside that calculate all the light in the area/surroundings.

It depends on the type of shot, really. I tend to shoot single objects that I want to stand out in a scene, so I usually spot meter, so the flower/bird/bee ect is what pops out in the shot.

For landscapes I'd stick with evaluative metering. It's probably a good mode to stick with if you're still getting your Canon sea legs.
  • 09-01-2010, 05:12 PM
    corei5
    like these two pictures whilst taking the photos I used spot-metering and the metering line is balance I presumed because even either the shutter speed is a bit high with the same ISO and f/ the meter is still in balance or about. Light meter confused me alot specially taking pictures with bunch of people or just like this surrounding.

I dont even know if any of these pictures have the right exposure or not.
    55 mm, ISO 100, 1/40 sec, f5.6, 0 EV
    http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4696/img1867u.jpg

55 mm, ISO 100, 1/100 sec, f5.6, 0 EV
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4128/img1868z.jpg

what mode is the best to use when the scene is like this? coz when taking the photos i used manual and aperture mode also shall I set the EV in "0" as default so the meter reading will always or about to be accurate? in sunny day like this the EV should be under 0 or "0"?