Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Best Camera for Afghanistan

Hi folks,

I know there are a dozen "What's the best camera for...." threads and I'm sure it gets old but I've searched through the reviews and threads and done a good bit of online shopping and just wanted to get your advice on a camera.

My nephew is in the ARMY and is about to go out on his second deployment in Afghanistan. He went through 5 yes FIVE point and shoots in his first deployement and finally gave up trying to get any decent pictures. He's in an artillery platoon so granted his cameras have to stand up to abuse but I was hoping I could find him something that atleast stood a chance.

For soldiers in Afghanistan the cameras have to deal with:
    -Shock
    -Heat
    -Dust, LOTS of dust
    -Rain

I looked around a lot and I see lots of water/shock proof point and shoots but I dont see anything mentioning heat.

So here are the following models I'm looking at, I was hoping someone could give me an opinion or suggest something else if I've missed anything.

Fujifilm FinePix XP30
    Olympus Stylus Tough-8010
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS10
    Pentax Optio WG-1 Digital (I saw PJ's review of the old Optio model and the WB issues he brought up concerned me also I've seen reviews of this model saying the image quality is really bad, true or not true? I only elaborate on this one because I was really leaning in that direction before I read the reveiws)

Price really isn't an issue (I mean you know, in the under $1k range) I'm not trying to make myself sound wealthy, but he's my nephew and he's risking his neck for all of us, the least I can do is buy him a decent camera. So I just want whatever camera represents the best quality camera that can stand up to these conditions. I'm also considering best white balance because you have to consider that everything he photographs is going to have a sea of light brown sand in the background.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by maplestreet; 08-08-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Re: Best Camera for Afghanistan

Considering the circumstances, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the TG-810 (or 8010). I've enjoyed skidding the thing along long brick floors, benging them on metal shelving, I've even hopped on one foot, at the tip of my foot on the thing (workshop, we got to test the limits). The TG-810 is similar to the 8010, adding GPS feature and a brighter, sharper LCD (920kpixel). The thing is rugged, it was fun to use.

If you have a best buy near you, you can check out the 810, feel it for yourself and navigate it. Their is no manual modes at all, but the program mode gives you relatively good control. They'll also have an xp20, give it a shot as well. The XP30 is built to the same specs as the XP20, plus GPS.

In heat, the risk is battery life/performance and overheating parts. The only thing I could think of overheating in those things is the CCD sensor. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be terribly worried about it. (Temps up to ~ 115F? I assume)

lol it hit 111 over here the other day.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 08-08-2011 at 01:58 AM.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Re: Best Camera for Afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Considering the circumstances, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the TG-810 (or 8010). I've enjoyed skidding the thing along long brick floors, benging them on metal shelving, I've even hopped on one foot, at the tip of my foot on the thing (workshop, we got to test the limits). The TG-810 is similar to the 8010, adding GPS feature and a brighter, sharper LCD (920kpixel). The thing is rugged, it was fun to use.

If you have a best buy near you, you can check out the 810, feel it for yourself and navigate it. Their is no manual modes at all, but the program mode gives you relatively good control. They'll also have an xp20, give it a shot as well. The XP30 is built to the same specs as the XP20, plus GPS.

In heat, the risk is battery life/performance and overheating parts. The only thing I could think of overheating in those things is the CCD sensor. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be terribly worried about it. (Temps up to ~ 115F? I assume)

lol it hit 111 over here the other day.

Thanks Charlie. That one looks like a winner, I didn't see it when I was browsing.

I'm off to Best Buy! Thanks again for the response.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Thread Information