Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Implementing new focus technology

Very interesting post process focusing. If this can be implemented in 'DSLR IQ', it would be one big step away from optics and towards electronics.

http://allthingsd.com/20110621/meet-...mera-industry/

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Re: Implementing new focus technology

It will be interesting to see what the photo quality will be like with production cameras.
    The ability to manipulate focus is interesting, hopefully not at the expense of photo sharpness and overall quality. Time will tell.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

I'm skeptical, after playing with a few pics on the website it seems that it finds only a limited focus selection.

Hopefully this innovation can be well utilized to the benefit of good photography, and not just to redistributing easy to use mediocre results to the masses.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    I'm skeptical, after playing with a few pics on the website it seems that it finds only a limited focus selection.
    I looks to me like you still have to set the amount of DoF up front, but can then apply that amount at any distance within the image.

Hopefully this innovation can be well utilized to the benefit of good photography, and not just to redistributing easy to use mediocre results to the masses.
    I think that all of these tools/technologies can be learned and put to good use by a good photographer. All that matters is if it helps to what you want to do. I could see focus stacking with moving subjects to be a real value. The limiting factor, to me, of many of these tools is that they are jpg only.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

As a mainstream consumer camera, I'm not sure that users will want to post-process their shots to get them in focus. Us photo geeks might.
    Only if it was in-camera and controlled on the screen (touch screen?) would it be acceptable, and then only barely.
    Of course I must have it processable from RAW in Lightroom.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Lightbulb Re: Implementing new focus technology

Hi !

I just had an idea of a great algorithm to unblur/refocus digital photos by using what appears to be called "deconvolution". I started developing a demo software to try my idea but obviously I realized that this method already existed. :idea:

Here is a great paper & demo I found: nis-lab.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~ybando/refocus/

By the way, this kind of method which gives very great results to unblur photos (not like sharpen filters) are very poorly implemented into actual softwares. I only find few old softwares implementing this method.

I'm a developer and i'm wondering if a modern & powerful software would be used by professionals (photographers, forensic, ...) ?

I'm thinking about building a simple online service, like this one: tiltshiftmaker.com/photo-editing.php

Providing simple controls, free processing for small photos, and pay-on-demand or subscriptions for hi-res & more complex processing (just to cover hosting fees).

Do you think this is useful ? do you know anybody who needs it ? If you have any idea, hint or suggestions, feel free to tell me =)
    Is there any existing refocus software or plugin you are using ?

Thanks for your help!

Thread Information