Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Digital Camera choice?

Hello! I am thinking about purchasing a 5mp digital camera, one that will be easier to use hopefully. I have a Canon A520 (4mp). I am trying to figure out between getting a more difficult one with better reviews or one that I like perhaps better though may not be as glowing in reviews. I think I've mainly got it down to either the Kodak Z730 or the Panasonic DMC-LZ2. The latter has a wonderful 6x optical zoom while the other has a 4x if I'm correct. Once I find a shop where they both are (with fresh batteries in them) I'd like to compare them. Which should I go for? I like my Canon but it's complicated and I've still not figured it all out. I thank you in advance for your input.

Re: Digital Camera choice?

Digital cameras are surprisingly similar in how they work. The main difference in many is which choices are on dials or buttons, and which are embedded in menus. The consumer cameras from electronics rather than camera companies tend to be easier to use by beginners but flexibility is extremely limited. They are more like the point and shoot camera + film combos available at stores but with a few more options. If the type of shots you take is not average in every respect then the quality is likely to be less than desired.

Cameras by camera companies are much more designed for a broader range of individual photographers who shoot in all conditions, from all angles, and of all kinds of subjects.
    With a good photographer, the quality of the shot will be much higher than with a "consumer" point and shoot but a lot of study, work, effort, and experience is necessary.

So, you should think about which direction to go: a limited point and shoot camera that takes average but acceptable photos or a more complicated camera that requires more work and effort to "figure it all out", but can take higher quality photos, if the photographer works at it.

Ronnoco

For what it's worth. Kodak has very aggresive in camera processing and compression. I shot with one for about 6 months, it gives good results once you know how to work with it. However, I recently looked at the Panasonic while at work, and was impressed by it.

We did a promotion with the "Easter Bunny", and offered a free print to parents. I used every digital we had in stock to take shots all day, in the end, they all looked about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo_Jay
    Hello! I am thinking about purchasing a 5mp digital camera, one that will be easier to use hopefully. I have a Canon A520 (4mp). I am trying to figure out between getting a more difficult one with better reviews or one that I like perhaps better though may not be as glowing in reviews. I think I've mainly got it down to either the Kodak Z730 or the Panasonic DMC-LZ2. The latter has a wonderful 6x optical zoom while the other has a 4x if I'm correct. Once I find a shop where they both are (with fresh batteries in them) I'd like to compare them. Which should I go for? I like my Canon but it's complicated and I've still not figured it all out. I thank you in advance for your input.
    dont expect that extra megapixel to give you a world of difference, in fact - im willing to bet that a520 would shoot some sharper, better looking pictures then that z730. if youre looking for a realdifference in your new camera then id check out the canon a620 or one of the fujifilm a series. If youre expecting a noticable difference because of simply a megapixel i think you'll be very disappointed. if you upgrade, make a full upgrade - honestly its not worth it to go from the a520 to a lz2 or the likes.

*wait - did you just say the 520 was difficult? what exactly are you finding difficult?

I love my Kodak Z740. It is still the smallest and lightest ultrazoom with a 10x lens. It feels like an SLR with its digital viewfinder. It is a bargain at about $350 Canadian. Some of the newer Kodak's in that series (I believe it's a Z760) has a 12x zoom and optical stabilizer at a bargain price. I would recommend you look at them.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/

Quote Originally Posted by Photo_Jay
    I like my Canon but it's complicated and I've still not figured it all out. I thank you in advance for your input.
    I'd spend more time with the Canon if I were you. It's a very good little camera. Take some time to get to know it, and you will be rewarded for your efforts.

Thread Information