• 07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
    sharif_al
    I have a problem with nikon D7000??? help me soooooon????
    hi

I am using in the mean time the Nikon D7000 DSLR

and I used this camera under tungeston light and when i took the

picture i found that they an orange to yellow or orange to red color.

could you tell me the problem that stands behind that. and how could i get rid of it. coould you tell me how to make white balance in easy steps and if there is a video then it would be better.

please give me the exact maybe settings to solve that problem ?

help me please
  • 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM
    Grandpaw
    Re: I have a problem with nikon D7000??? help me soooooon????
    The white balance is off. If you use modes M,A,S, or P you have to set the white balance to AUTO or in this case you could set it to tungsten and it will give you the proper white balance. All the other modes will set it automatically so you won't have to do anything.

Now to set the white balance for M,A,S and P modes follow these steps.
    1... Have the camera turned on and in one of the four modes above

2... Press the info button on the lower right hand side of the rear LCD screen

3... There are 4 buttons on the left hand side of the rear LCD screen, hold down the WD or white balance button and turn the rear thumb wheel at the top right rear of the camera.

4... As you are doing step 3 watch the rear screen as you rotate the thumb wheel and you will go through the different white balance modes. Either put it on AUTO which is probably your best choice or put it on the picture of the bulb with the light rays over it. Either way will get rid of the orange for your pictures. If you place it on AUTO and leave it there it will set itself when using any of the four modes listed above.

Remember that ALL of the other modes will set the white balance automatically. If you have any more questions just ask here or e-mail me, Jeff
  • 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM
    Photo-John
    Can you post a sample photo with the problem so we can take a look? The tungsten white balance preset should be pretty good. The only thing I can think of is that the lights weren't actually very good in which case the color could still be off. Underexposure could also add to the problem.
  • 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM
    Grandpaw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Can you post a sample photo with the problem so we can take a look? The tungsten white balance preset should be pretty good. The only thing I can think of is that the lights weren't actually very good in which case the color could still be off. Underexposure could also add to the problem.

Maybe I read his post wrong but it sounded to me like he took a picture in tungsten light and it came out orange and then ask how to set the white balance to keep it from happening. I thought I have given him the answer to what he needed but maybe I miss read his post, Jeff
  • 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
    sharif_al
    1 Attachment(s)
    Hi
    Thanks for all the help,
    What I got from your posts that when i use a ( M, O ,....) I have to set the white balance to " auto" .

Then Do we can make a custom white balance and does it better to make custom white balance or not ??????????????????
    if yes how to make a custom white balance ???????

I attached you a photo .
  • 07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
    Grandpaw
    I can write up how to do a custom white balance but the auto works very well and is much easier to do and a lot quicker. Let me know about the custom white balance, Jeff
  • 07-27-2011, 06:09 PM
    gryphonslair99
    Start on Page 117 of the manual and read it. It explains WB, various settings and how to set a custom WB if you want.
  • 07-28-2011, 02:03 AM
    jean mark
    read the documentation
  • 07-29-2011, 12:33 PM
    sharif_al
    2 Attachment(s)
    How to shoot in such placed ????help me
    Hi
    I was shooting at a wedding hall where lightings are almost red or oranges ,......etc.
    How could I shoot in such places ???
    Should I used full auto option in my Nikon D7000?
    Or Should I use manual settings for that purpose ?
    And How could I shoot moving object like in sport ????

Yesterday i shoot these photos and they were bad ? and i do not know where is the problem
    to overcome it ??
    help me?
  • 07-29-2011, 12:59 PM
    SmartWombat
    It looks as if you used flash, which is a blueish light, like daylight.
    When you do that, the camera automatically uses the flash white balance.

The camera probably is not going to get this right - you need to start making changes manually.

One way to solve this is to use a CTO colour filter gel over the flash.
    That makes the flash light more orange, closer to the tungsten light.

If you shoot in RAW mode (not JPEG) then you can fix the colour afterwards, once it's all balanced to the same (orange) light you can adjust it in the editor of your choice like Photoshop, or Lightroom, or Paint Shop Pro.

But you will still get that mix of blurring and sharp images because the camera is trying to balance the flash light with the background light, and to do that it needs a long exposure (slow shutter time) to get the background.

You can speed up the shutter if you turn up the ISO speed, but the image will get more grainy.
    The higher the ISO setting, the shorter the shutter speed can be and the less blurred the dancers will be.
    But you'll still need that CTO gel on the flash for colour balance.
  • 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM
    Franglais
    There are several problems with your photos. I have read the camera settings you used from the EXIF data in your images. Let me try to explain.

Let's take the image with the gentleman with the green TShirt and look at the "perfect style every time" on the person at his right. See how there are two sets of letters, one white and fairly sharp and underneath a blurred orange set of letters?

1. The blurred orange set of letters was done by room lighting. The letters are blurred because you used a slow shutter speed (set manually) of 1/8-1/15s on a moving subject. If you want to shoot a moving subject by room lighting you must have a shutter speed of at least 1/125s, which means increasing the ISO setting to make the camera more sensitive to light. You were using 1600 ISO which gave you 1/15s - to get 1/125s you need to use 12800 ISO. The D7000 can do it so don't hesitate.

2. The white sharp letters were done by flash. In the middle of the long, blurry exposure by room lighting the flash went off for an instant and gave you a sharp image but the effect is unnatural. You should either use only room lighting as described in solution 1 or else only use flash. Set the camera ISO to a low value (400 ISO), shutter speed to 1/125s and aperture to f8 and the room lighting will almost be eliminated from the picture. You will just have the ugly lighting of the built-in flash but at least it will be sharp.

This situation is actually quite difficult to shoot. To do well it needs some extra equipment. This is what I would do:

- If I decided to shoot by flash then I would use a cobra flash like the SB700 pointed upwards at the ceiling, Flash white balance, 800 ISO and Program mode. This gives me a result where the subject is lit by what looks like normal room lighting (but is in fact the flash) and the background gradually fades away to about 2 stops underexposure (room lighting)

- If I decided to shoot by room lighting then I would use my 35mm f1.8 available-light lens at 6400 ISO. Zoom lenses like the 18-105 that you're using just don't let through enough light (F4.8) to be useful in this situation.
  • 07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
    OldClicker
    Though I am not the OP, I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to teach us all. This is what sets this site apart. - Terry
  • 08-01-2011, 04:41 AM
    sharif_al
    hi
    give me the right lens that could help me in such situations?
    and I have a canon speedlite 580EX II , does it play with my new nikon D7000?

How to film videos using full auto focus , I have read thye manual but i did not understand enough ? help
    because when i do ( pan -left or right ) the focus gets bad
  • 08-01-2011, 11:07 AM
    Franglais
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sharif_al View Post
    hi
    give me the right lens that could help me in such situations?
    and I have a canon speedlite 580EX II , does it play with my new nikon D7000?

If you want to shoot without flash then the most useful (cheap) lens is the 35mm f1.8 DX. It gives you a fairly "normal" view. You could also look at the 50mm f1.8 (one of your shots was done at 48mm). If you want an available-light zoom lens then there's the 18-55 f2.8 but it's expensive.

Your Canon Speedlight will work as a very basic flash with the D7000. Waste of time. Trade it in for a Nikon SB700, SB800 or SB900 which are fully compatible with all the features of the D7000
  • 08-20-2011, 02:36 AM
    sharif_al
    Thanks all,
    But what is the right lens if I want to shoot with SB700 ?
    That may be wide and tele if possible