Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Canon Digital Cameras

Hey all!

Sorry, I'm an advanced beginner if anything to digital photography, and I'm planning on making my first very major purchase. I've decided to pick a Canon camera. I don't know which one. Is any of these a great investment?: Powershot S50, G2, G3, G5. Let me give you the low prices, in case they may help:

S50--$333
    G2--$309
    G3--$439
    G4--$442

How would it matter if I got the G2 rather than the G3 or G5? Or, rather than the S50?

Feel free to suggest other cameras and other brands. I am searching for good quality night and day, inside and outside, and good amount of options. Thank for listening. Great thanks to anyone who can help!

Thuan

id go the G5

just because it has that extra Mp over the G3 but id also go into the store and get a hold of them, feel the differences, then youll know which feels better.
    Or wait till all the new canon P&S cameras come out and see what they have to offer.Some look nice like the Powershot pro 1 8Mp with good lenses and other upgrades on the G series of cameras.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Canon...

Quote Originally Posted by redpockets
    Hey all!

Sorry, I'm an advanced beginner if anything to digital photography, and I'm planning on making my first very major purchase. I've decided to pick a Canon camera. I don't know which one. Is any of these a great investment?: Powershot S50, G2, G3, G5.
    Thuan
    The G3 is a better camera than the G5. Noise on the G5 is high ands the chromatic abberation is also higher. The difference in pixel count between the G3 and G5 is close to irrelevent.

As Canon has been announcing lots of new cameras at PMA, I would wait a few weeks. These G-series cameras will drop in price once the new stuff is in the stores.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

New Canon PowerShots

redpockets-
    Michael is right about the G3 being better than the G5 in terms of image quality. That said, people are pretty critical when it comes to judging digital camera image quality. The G5 gets excellent reviews and it's possible that you'd never know the difference. On the other hand, if you can find a new G3, you might be able to get a really good deal. But I think either one would be great.

You might want to wait a little, though. I don't usually tell people to wait, but I'm at the annual PMA tradeshow right now and there are lots of new cameras from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fuji, Olympus, etc. Canon has two new high-end compacts that you should look at, the 8 megapixel PowerShot Pro1 and the three megapixel, image stabilized PowerShot S1 IS. Other worthy cameras are the new Konica Minolta A2 which features their CCD Shift Anti-Shake technology, and the new eight megapixel camera from Olympus, the 8080.

For more on all the new cameras and other photo gear at PMA, check out the PMA Discussion and press releases on the News and Rumours forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canon Digital Cameras-img_6613.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information