Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Compact Camera Recommendations

I am looking to buy a small camera that I can bring with me everywhere as to not miss anything. I would like high quality but realize that in the ultra compact catagory that I may have to sacrifice a little. I have been looking at the Cannon SD10 and SD20 which both lack the optical zoom. Is this a big deal?? Are there small cameras that are as good with a zoom?

Re: Compact Camera Recommendations

One other thing, how are the ultra thin Casios in comparison to the SD10 or others?

Why not have both a compact camera, and a zoom. The Canon S410/S500 cameras both are very small in size and produce excellent pictures, and they have a 38-108(equiv.) zoom lens. At some point a camera will become too small to use comfortably, the smaller S series cameras lose a lot of manual control, and the SD series lose the zoom. The small S series camera are very well thought out and fit the hand very well, but for this small size you lose features. If you are looking for manual control the S60/S70 are a little bigger again but offer all of the features of a larger camera and a true wide angle zoom lens(28-100). I would describe the S60/S70 as a little brick, it is compact yet very heavy for such a small camera. They are still very portable and pocketable though.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

The S410 seems a little big for my liking. I want something comperable in size to the SD10. I'm not realy sure if I need the zoom or not. How care the slim Casios?

Thread Information