Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Talking HELP Dropped camera in soda! don't ask...haha

I dropped my digital in my cup of cream soda. It was only in there for a few seconds, but it was enough to get some inside my camera. I see some drops in my viewing lenses, the zoom, and my battery compartment, and my zoom lens is all gross on the outside. I'm wiping the zoom off with the lense cloth for my glasses, but can't really get it clean all the way. It still works (for now at least), but I'm just worried about the drops I can't dry off/that are inside. Any suggestions for anything?
    Last edited by mistherd13; 01-04-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Nasty

Oh boy. That's a tough one. The usual process for a camera that gets dunked in water is to take out the batteries, towel it off, put it on top of the fridge, TV, or another warm dry place, and let it air out for a couple of days. But soda takes it to another level. I would use a slightly damp cloth everywhere it was exposed to the soda. That means inside the battery compartment, on the zoom lens, and anywhere you can get to. And do it over an over. Because one wipe won't clean off all the sugar from the soda. If you don't get it all off, and it gets inside, eventually it will start to corrode the mechanical and electronic parts and your camera will be done for.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: HELP Dropped camera in soda! don't ask...haha

What a mess,

To what John said let me add that using distilled water is by far your best bet. You would be supprised the minerals that are contained in even bottled water. (Plus chlorine and other chemicals.)

Good Luck

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ejlatstl
    To what John said let me add that using distilled water is by far your best bet.
    Thanks for that addition! I'll have to remember that the next time I have my gear out in the rain and mud all day.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by mistherd13
    I dropped my digital in my cup of cream soda. It was only in there for a few seconds, but it was enough to get some inside my camera. I see some drops in my viewing lenses, the zoom, and my battery compartment, and my zoom lens is all gross on the outside. I'm wiping the zoom off with the lense cloth for my glasses, but can't really get it clean all the way. It still works (for now at least), but I'm just worried about the drops I can't dry off/that are inside. Any suggestions for anything?
    If it makes you feel any better, at least know that you're not one of those people who is so uptight about their gear that they never have it accessible enough to shoot a photo with!!!! I fried out my laptop by spilling a glass of water on it a few months ago. It did not survive. Just the other day, (I'm not making this up) my kids got into a brawl with each other over a Slurpee in a 7-11 parking lot, which ended up with my "car camera" (my old EOS 650 with lens and speedlight) falling like two stories out of our SUV onto the pavement. It actually works better now! (All those old buttons and dials just got loosened up. I shot the rest of the roll of film in it and it was fine). That old stuff is just so resiliant!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ejlatstl
    What a mess,

To what John said let me add that using distilled water is by far your best bet. You would be supprised the minerals that are contained in even bottled water. (Plus chlorine and other chemicals.)

Good Luck
    Just a quick sidepoint to this...make sure it's "DISTILLED" water and not "Drinking" water. "Drinking" water may still have minerals etc. that can harm your camera in the long run. I make this point because they are usually side by side and I have inadvertently picked up distilled instead of drinking in the past and vice versa.
    One other point, as long as you don't turn your electronic equipment on while it is wet, most electronics can easily withstand an inadvertent dunking. Just make sure that it is "COMPLETELY" dry before turning it back on.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information