Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Help Choosing a Camera

I was pretty certain I was going to get a GoPro HD but with all the different mounts and housings and accessories I summed up the price to around $600. I went searching around for a little bit online and came across Rugged Cameras. These appeal to me greatly because of their weatherproof feature. I first saw the Pentax Optio WG-1 and was blown away by the microscope feature and the way it would take clear videos underwater. Though I've seen some reviews saying the Optio WG90 didn't do so well in the IQ department. I've read about many cameras this evening but am wondering what would be the best for what I do.

Setting aside a cost restriction, what would any of you recommend as a camera that can take a little abuse yet provide decent quality?

I longboard, go climbing, swimming, urban exploring yet take pictures quite frequently of clouds, buildings and different night shots. I've been limited to using my Samsung Galaxy S for videos and pictures. It does record in 720p so that has gotten me by but I'm starting to look into something a little more designed for photography. I cannot risk taking videos while longboarding due to no safe housing or wrist mount with my phone.

Really, I'm just looking for a camera that I can strap to myself if needed and take good footage during sports/climbing yet retain great quality for less hectic photography.

Sorry if I was a little repetitive, I don't typically post on forums much but was referred to here by PhotographyREVIEW and would take that advice any day. Thank you all for your time and I look forward to hearing what you would find best suited!

Re: Help Choosing a Camera

Thanks for posting on the forums

First of all, if you haven't read it yet, take a look at my Outdoor & Waterproof Camera Guide. I think it's probably the most comprehensive guide on the Web. There are a new batch of cameras out this year and I have been thinking about adding some info about POV cameras so an update is due. But it's still a very useful read:

Outdoor & Waterproof Camera Guide >>

The waterproof point-and-shoots aren't going to replace a helmet cam like the GoPro or Countour. I often carry both. But the point-and-shoot cameras will definitely take better pictures and some of them will also do better video. Mounting them on a helmet or your chest will be tricky, though unless you use duct tape. Right now, I think the best-looking cameras are the Sony Cybershot TX5 I reviewed last year and Panasonic's new TS3.

Sony Cybershot TX5 Pro Review >>
    Panasonic Lumix TS3 Announcement Article >>

I loved the TX5 last year. It was way better than I expected. The last waterproof Pentax I used, the W90, did not live up to my expectations. Right now I'd go with the Sony or the new Panasonic. And if I went Sony, I'd look for last year's TX5 because the new TX10 has more resolution and I'm afraid that will hurt the image quality.

I hope that helps. You've probably got more questions. Please don't hesitate to ask
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I find what you posted very helpful toward making a decision. Much appreciated!

I've done some digging on the cameras mentioned and was amazed by some of the results but I am still quite curious about the Pentax Optio WG-1. I have yet to come across more than just 1 video showing briefly what it could do. As mentioned above, I'm amazed by the microscope quality. I was curious to know if you were going to do a review on this camera, or know somebody who will be doing one.

My main points of interest are to see how the HD videos come out as well as the stills.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John

And if I went Sony, I'd look for last year's TX5 because the new TX10 has more resolution and I'm afraid that will hurt the image quality.

Hi! Can you expound on this one? Sorry for such a noob question :-)

I heard that people give more emphasis on the resolution more than they should, but I don't know why. I found a sony tx10 review blog and was close to buying one. Good thing I did a little more digging...
    Last edited by Photo-John; 04-22-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Right now I would take the Panasonic over the Olympus TG-810. Like you said, I didn't see any imrpovement in the Olympus TG-610's image quality and I expect they're (the 610 and 810) both using the same sensor and processing. I really like the Panasonic *decreased* the resolution on the new TS3. That shows that they're really thinking about image quality and not just marketing specs. So I give you the thumbs-up on the TS3 - that's what I would buy
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Bought the Go Pro from amazon.com too for speargishing, but i don't like the original lense cause of the blur effect under water. So i changed the lense, can't find the website where i bought the lense, but you can find a similar one on eyeofmine.com

Just my two cents ;)
    Submarine Camera newbie

thanks will go to have alook

Thanks for the waterproof resource. I was looking for something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Naeva View Post
    Thanks for the waterproof resource. I was looking for something like that
    Yes same here.. Looking for a point and shoot which takes good movies and has a pause so you dont need to create a new file each time.

Thread Information