Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Gap in focal range - lens decision

Like many people who read this forum, I'm about to take the step from 35mm to digital SLR photography! I've chosen to go the route of the Canon 300D, as I already have a few canon lens.

Unfortunately, the 1.6x multiplier means my 28-105 F3.5-4.5 USM lens is no longer a wide angle lens... it also means my 100-300 is now a huge telephoto lens!

So with a budget of A$1000 (preferably less) I would like to replace the 28-105... currently I'm looking at the Canon 17-40L F4 or the Sigma 18-55 F2.8. They're both good lenses but after reading many reviews I'm leaning towards the 17-40 as my walk around lens.

Keeping in mind I mainly will be using the camera travelling, will this range be sufficient? Including the multiplier, I'll have a 27-65 & 160-480... will I miss the gap (65-160) between the lenses?

Thanks for the help,
    Rukh

Ghost

Re: Gap in focal range - lens decision

Hiya,

Here's what I'd do. I'd buy the 17-40 like you mentioned and also pick up one of Canon's 50mm prime lenses (probably the f/1.8 one). You'll find the pairing of those two great for travel. With the 50mm being so small and light and the 17-40 giving you the wide angle you seek. The 50mm also plugs the gap between the ranges you mentioned but honestly it's not that big of a deal to have a gap like that.

These two are well within your price range.

The 17-40 is a heavy beast....I hope you're already aware of that!

Re: Gap in focal range - lens decision

I was worried about the weight and worried over the distortion when taking people shots... also taking into account the price difference, I've just asked a friend in Hong Kong to try and buy me a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX lens. I hope the people in the forum at DP review knew what they were talking about when they said the Sigma was a good lens!

If he can't get it, I'll go the 17-40mm L option with the 50mm prime - which would be annoying weight-wise, but I'd love to have an excuse to buy those lenses :P

Cheers,
    Rukh

Thread Information