Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Greenbean

Cool Greenbean

I know you folks must be tired of the same old questions from folks like me but here is another one. I am green as a greenbean to digital photography and DSLRS. I have been reading a lot of posts and other info from this site. So here goes, I have been looking and reading about these cameras and would like your opinion on which one is best for the buck and what I want to do with it. I would be doing general photography, landscapes, cityscapes, and perhaps some portraits of family and friends.
    !. Canon XTi
    2.Canon 30d
    3. Nikon d80
    4.Sony a100
    Also would it be better to take the kit lense or upgrade to a "better" one
    Would also like advice in a 3rd party lens like 70-200mm
    Does one type of memory card have it over another, ie: compactflash vs SD
    Would like to purchase this gear online because it would probably be cheaper and no sales tax. Need to know of some authorized and "honest" dealers.
    What is the general take on "used" gear, especially lenses?
    I am looking for all the help that I can get and want to thank everyone in advance for their help, comments, or suggestions.

Bluesguy

Re: Greenbean

bluesguy. To try and answer your question, what kind of money are you looking/willing to spend?

Cool Re: Greenbean

My working budget is approx. $1200-1500 US.

bluesguy

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

They're all good cameras.
    Each has a different set of features.
    I don't know about lenses except for the 18-135mm nikon lens I bought with my d80 and I'm happy with it for now. I've read complaints about the canon kit lens and that its better to go body only with the xti.
    Research the heck out of them.
    I believe there are reviews and you can do side by side comparisons for all those cameras here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

along with any reviews posted here.

If those are the only 4 cameras you are looking at, I would go with the 30D. Best of the bunch. I personally am an Canon shooter, but my statement is based on the fact that the 30D. is most comparable to the Nikon D200. (not on your list) IMHO I would stick with Canon or Nikon. It is not a fluke that they hold the major share in the digital SLR market, especially among the pros. Both companies make a wide range of equipment in varying prices for your needs/wallet. The thought they put into their equipment is geared toward what is the best system to use to creat the best product. Not what is the easiest to market/sell.

The big thing to remember is when buying a DSLR you ARE NOT buying a camera. You are buying a SYSTEM. You can expect to trade up bodies every 2 or 3 years. Good money into Good lenses will go a long way with keeping your system going with out a lot of buying of the same lens in a better quality. Of the 6 lenses I now own, only one is non-Canon. I purchased it after trying it out at my local camera store and after reading countless reviews on it. That lens happens to be the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. The rest are Canon lens of L or near L quality.

As for trustworthy online dealers this is the best I know of. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I have bought a lot of equipment from them. I choose to buy only USA warranty. Little more expensive but good to know I can get it fixed if I needed it here. They also sell used eqipment and everyone I have ever spoken to that has bought used from them has been pleased. Good luck, hope this helps.
    Last edited by gryphonslair99; 11-12-2006 at 05:03 PM.

First I want to thank you guys for the info and suggestions and also for the links. I have been to Best Buy and Circuit City to view and feel these models. I have large hands and clumsy fingers so that sort of rules the XTi out, a little too small for my taste, the Sony A100 does not appear to have the glass behind it as do the 30d and d80. I am sort of leaning in the Canon 30d's direction at this point. Subject to change without notice
    If I just buy the body only, which lens would be a good one to start with, a Canon or a third party one. Also which recording media is best, does CF have an advantage over CD?
    I definitely will buy USA and would like to buy at one of the brick and mortar stores in my town to simply things if things go wrong with the equiptment but if I can get a better price deal online then I will do that. The no payment of sales tax is very attractive, especially since my state charges 6 per cent.
    Any ideas on why the recording media costs so much, you would think that the price of a 1gb card would be "cheap"

bluesguy

You mention that Sony doesn't seem to have the glass behind it. Let me also mention that any Minolta Maxxum lens will work on the Sony, and they will all be image stabilized. Also, if you watch some of the sales going in camera media you can get a good deal. Last week Office Depot offered a 2gb SD card for $39.99 originally $79.99 and that was a instant rebate. If you look around you can find good deals.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Hey, I'll throw in my two cents here. I'll reaffirm what has already been said about camera brand. I'd go with either Canon or Nikon. I doubt you'll see any real differences between the bodies, but I would personally prefer to go with the major brand lenses. As far as choosing between Nikon and Canon, there's no real difference between the two in my somewhat informed opinion. I would start to plan what lenses you want and make your choice based on that. I personally like Nikon, but that's just me. Also, to my knowlegde there is no functional difference between SD and CF cards. SD cards are just smaller. The real difference is in the manufacturers. Sandisk makes some great cards. B&H Photo is the best place online to shop for photo gear. I've never been dissappointed with them. If you're looking for an 80-200mm lense, consider the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D. It's an older generation of the current 70-200mm VR, but I own it and it is exceptional. Fast AF even compared to AFS, and superb optics. And it's $900 at B&H. As far as the kit lense, I know the Nikon 18-55mm is surprisingly good for it's price. It's certainly not a pro lense, but it serves well as a consumer lens. Finally, I would just get the cheaper Canon or Nikon body. Any of the current models is capable of gorgeous photos, and will be obselete this time next year. Spend the money you saved on some nice glass and a fun photo trip. The glass and great photos will last much longer than the body.

The only thing that I would add to what has been said is about Canon and Nikon having no real difference. From what you posted as the types of photography you are interested in Either the Canon or the Nikon should suit your needs quite well. If however you plan on doing some sports photography in the future, or any type of photograpy that needs a higher ISO then I would look at Canon. Canon sensors handle noise at higher ISO better than the Nikons do. Canon also sports the only full frame (35mm sized) sensor on the market. Don't let that however be of great concern. A full size sensors does not always mean better, it's just bigger. Most of the newspapers in my area and sports photographers use Canon for the above ISO issue mentioned. There are many portrait photographers in this area that use Nikon (the Nikon produces great results) including a wedding photographer that I work with.

Before you buy, I would suggest that you examine what types of photography you are wanting to pursue and then look at the two systems and compare each one for the photography you intend to pursue. That is what I did. It took me 3 months to finally choose Canon as my main interest is photojournalism and sports. (For 33mm film I always have been and still am a Nikon guy. You couldn't pry my prized F2 from my hands. For film they can't be topped.)

As for Sony's in camera image stabilization, it has not been proven to be a good technology to date. Even Sony admits that it works better on short lenses than on long or long telephoto lenses. Having good techinque cancels the need for IS on all but long or long telephoto lenses in most cases. Besides, if it was a good, proven system Minolta would not have sold the rights and bowed out of the photography business.

Sorry that it has taken so long in replying to the lastest info given. Been on vacation to the East Coast. I thank all who has responded to my post. Just to let you know, I decided on the Canon 30D with the system lens and also the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is usm lens. Now I have to get familar with it and do some picture taking.
    Any suggestions on filter brands and where I can get a decent deal for them?
    Thanks in advance,
    bluesguy

Thread Information