Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Fuji s5000 battery life

hi...new to the board did a quik search for this topic but to no avail

I have a s5000 i purchased in summer of 2004.......now i do not use it that much but when i do i take quite few pics using the LCD screen...

i remeber the batteries lasting longer...but i lent it to my GF and when i gotit backit had really crappy batteries in it....like the $5 for 20 kind of batteries....she said she had to change batteries after like 10min of use...she did this a couple of times.......

could this have lead to my short battery life with high quality batteries?
    if so can it be remedy by using somehow?

peter the ever so much a beginner at Digital Photography

thanks in advance for any help

Re: Fuji s5000 battery life

i wont go into what batteries u should be useing cos there is tons of info available on that.. but i will answer your question and say that useing cheapo batteries for a short while isnt gonna affect your camera in the slightest when u go back to useing better ones..

u will have to find a better way to pick an arguement with your girlfriend than that.. he he

trog100

thanks for the reply............
    I usually try to avoid the arguments (run away, run away)

out of curiosity what batteries do you use in a Digital?

pete

rechargable AA types in your camera.. Nickel-metal-hydride or NI-MH for short.. u can buy a set of eight and a charger quite cheaply.. 1600ma or higher should be okay..

just rembember that they self discharge over time unlike none rechargable batteries.. which means in essence that if u leave your camera stood for anything more than a few days the batteries will need a top up charge.. try not to repeatedly over charge them.. if they seem excessively hot to the touch its a sign that they are cooked and ready to eat.. he he..

there are three types of charger.. simple leave over-night jobs that charge slowy and wont do much harm if left on too long.. these are the most idiot proof ones.. they charge at 10% of battery capacity.. say 1600ma batteries would get charged at 160ma.. i like these cos they are safe and u can be sure your battery is fully charged..

those that claim to be automatic but aint.. they wang out a higher charge and run for a fixed time.. okay if u start with flat batteries but no good if u start with only half flat batteries.. in other words they will damage your battery by over charging em unless u know what u are doing.. the "too hot" to touch test is needed here..

the third sort are the ones that claim to know when your battery is fully charged and switch off automatically .. sounds wonderfull and okay if they work but they aint overly reliable.. they are fairly safe.. but sometimes dont always fully charge the batteries..

no need to pay a lot for these things and they are commonly available.. but it does help to know what u are working with..

oh.. also try and keep your batteries in "sets".. dont muddle up half charged ones with fully charged ones if u can help it..

here endeth the lesson and now u know why i tried to avoid going into "batteries".. he he

trog100

thanks for the write up........

I have the third type charger you listed..........

I think I may just buy good batteries for the time being.

just to avoid getiing cuaght up in the charger battery mess.

thanks

Thread Information