• 08-11-2004, 09:36 AM
    Chunk
    Exposure Latitude Specs/Comparisons?
    Is there any spec that give some clue as to the exposure latitude of a digital camera? Does it vary with the iso setting? Do some brands or models have better exposure latitude than others?
  • 08-11-2004, 10:13 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    Is there any spec that give some clue as to the exposure latitude of a digital camera? Does it vary with the iso setting? Do some brands or models have better exposure latitude than others?

I don't know of any comparisons, that would be nice! But I can answer some questions.

Digital has more lattitude than slides but less than prints. Raw format has more latitude than jpeg.

Just as with film, latitude goes down with higher ISO.

Different sensors used differently will have different latitudes. Hmm. We need a comparison chart!
  • 08-11-2004, 12:59 PM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Hmm. We need a comparison chart!

That's what I think. It's always been an important consideration with new films and such. It just seems to be largely ignored in the digital world. Do organizations testing cameras test for it at all?
  • 08-12-2004, 01:20 PM
    Chunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk

After posting this I've been looking around for more info. I found this site that has a lot of test/reviews. They have identical test images posted for many cameras. They also list shutter lag/cycle time charts for many cameras. Seems like a lot of useful info, but I can't judge its validity.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/INDEX.HTM