Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Rechargeable Lithiums.. life span.. ???

i know how long ni-cds last.. usually longer than whatever it is they are powering.. i have ni-cds that are ten years old and they stiil work okay..

ni-mh are so cheap now it dosnt seem to matter that much.. i know they dont live as long as ni-cds and some fail rather quickly.. but as i say they are so cheap its no problem just replacing them..

but with rechargeable lithiums i have no idea.. i have a kodak camera thats three years old the lithiums that came with it seem to still work okay but over the last eighteen months it hasnt been used much.. rechargeable lithiums are still expensive enough not to have loads kicking about and each camera seems to take a different one..

anyone have any imput on this.. nic-cds used to be quoted at 500 charge/discharge cycles.. with ni-mh it never seems to get quoted.. the same with lithiums i havnt seen a life-span quote..

just wondering..

trog100

Re: Rechargeable Lithiums.. life span.. ???

answering my own question.. he he..

still for anyone else that wonders..

nickel cadmium = 1000 to 1500 charge discharge cyles.. very tolerant to abuse.. self discharge at 20% per month..

nickel metal hydride = 200 to 300 charge discharge cyles.. less tolerant to abuse.. self discharge at 30% per month..

lithium ion = 500 to 1000 charge discharge cycles.. but they start to die from the moment they are born even when not in use.. its possible for them to fail after two to three years just thru age.. self discharge 10% month.. best kept stored at 40% charge and cooler temps..

not entirely happy with what i have discovered about rechargeable lithium ions allowing for the price they cost.. but thats more down to the "proprietory" factor than the cost of the technology.. as time passes they should get cheaper and eventually take over from metal hydrides.. if u buy any spares check how long they have been on the shelf.. try to avoid buying old stock..

trog100

Thread Information