• 02-11-2012, 07:29 PM
    hotnickles96
    Eager to learn more, and decide what to buy?
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Josh and I am looking forward to becoming an active member on this forum.
    I have been browsing the forums for a few hours now, looking at and admiring all the the beautiful pictures. Admiring all of the skill and technique many of you possess makes me very jealous lol.

I have only owned point-and-shoot type cameras. I am looking into possibly getting a DSLR if it is necessary for the type of photos I would like to take. I am "mostly" interested in being able to take pictures of Animals. Mostly dogs, Pitbulls and bullybreeds, and My goldfish. Hopefully being able to learn and take MUCH better quality photos.

I have been trying to use my current camera to take pics of my goldfish and I can not get it to focus correctly and get clear photos. I've been thinking I need some type of macro lens to get a closer clear shot of the goldfish? I apologize for not knowing the proper terminology or the know how of using the camera's functions but I am eager and willing to learn.

I would continue to try to use my current camera and figure out all the n's and out's of this camera but, It is now currently dead. So this leads me to seek out the forums help to decide what type of camera would be best for me to buy next?

For a non Dslr I was looking at a nikon p100 or p500... Yet, not sure if this will fulfill my "wants" in the "macro" photos of my goldfish since its a superzoom camera.
    If I do go Dslr I would prefer entry level and keep a modest budget in mind.
    I am open to any and all suggestions and hope to communicate further with all on this forum.

If I have left anything important out please let me know and I will get back asap.
    Thanks so much in advance.
    Josh.
  • 02-12-2012, 01:27 AM
    Anbesol
    Re: Eager to learn more, and decide what to buy?
    If you want quality photos, then you should do DSLR or compact system camera. If you scour used markets, you can get starting ~ $300.

The cameras focus difficulty may be as much user error and scene specific issues, for example, the dirt on the glass of a fish bowl, the reflections, the various points of focus within the scene can cause the automated focus process some problems. Focus is also difficult in darker environments, and especially on point and shoots as you zoom towards the telephoto end of the lens. For best focus control, use spot focus and point the center spot to the specific area of contrast you wish to be in focus, then compose and shoot. At least that is the most conventional method, other specific scenes can require different technique.

If you want to get the easy shot, just stick with a point and shoot like the P500 or SX40 or whatever. But, if you are willing to put some effort and some learning into it, than the DSLR/CSC approach can reward you well. A lot of people think photography is pure art and the pure creative inspiration of the artist, but they frequently forget the facts that photography has a very scientific element to it as well that is every bit as important as the creative side, there is depth of field and its relationship between focus range and aperture, focus plane, focus placement, the list goes on. If you plan on sticking in automatic modes, expecting the camera itself to do the work for you, than you'll probably only get frustrated with CSC/DSLR, and a simpler automatic thing like a point and shoot would do ya better.

Virtually ALL point and shoots have very similar macro function, and unfortunately they usually only work at the most magnified at the wide angle of the lens, on the point and shoots. The CSC can be especially well tooled for macros, considering you can get a

Canon FD 50mm f/1.8, plus macro focus converter, and FD to M43 mount for the few CSC bodies I mentioned, and bam (for under $80!), you've got one HELL of a macro set-up that will run circles around anything any point and shoot could ever dream of doing. But, you'll have to know what you're doing a lot more with such a set-up.
  • 02-12-2012, 08:20 AM
    Footski
    Learn to walk before you run.....by this I simply mean buy a camera that you can enjoy using and at the same time learn from. Personally I would go for an entry level DSLR. Don't worry about macro lenses at this stage, just enjoy using and learning from your new camera. Other lenses can come later.
    With the DSLR, once you buy, you really commit yourself to the maker of your first choice as you will collect lenses and maybe flash guns that are maker specific.
    Look at the Nikon D60, which is not a current model, but will do all that you want and can be got on ebay at very good second hand prices. If you want new, look at the Nikon D3100, which replaced the D60.
    I am sure Canon owners will point you in the right direction for their best entry level models and then just check out prices and try to handle some before making your final choice.
    Best of luck.
  • 02-12-2012, 08:48 AM
    hotnickles96
    Thank you both for your very detailed responses.
    I started looking at the Nikon J1 and the Nikon d3100 both are in the same price range that I'am looking at. I actually found a refurbished d3100 with a one year warranty from sears for 449.95 vs. the non refurb model for 599.99
    The nikon j1 at sears is going for 599.95.

It seems like both would more than meet my wants or needs. But I don't want to be limited to a single type of lens so that's why I am leaning this way instead of getting a Nikon p500. I'm sure I would have my hands full with learning everything anyway even if i chose another point and shoot.
    I do know a few things like shutter speed and what aperture is. To use them to my advantage though is not something I have learned yet though.
  • 02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
    Footski
    I do not want to knock the Nikon J1, but it has serious limitations when it comes to the choice of lens. They are rather expensive. I reckon that you will learn much more with the D3100 and any lens you buy will be useful in the future should you ever choose to upgrade.
  • 02-12-2012, 11:25 AM
    Anbesol
    I DO want to knock the J1, since I was espousing the values of adding lens, the J1's tiny sensor negates any value of such. The Olympus E-PM1, Panasonic GF3, and Sony NEX C3 are better choices, the Sony in particular would make best use of the image circle of a lens.

I know, the name of the brands I listed aren't as popular. But you'd be surprised, popularity and quality are not mutually exclusive! In fact, I think you'll find most people will argue that the 3 cameras I listed are all qualitatively superior to the J1, even though the J1 is the elitist Nikon brand....