• 06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
    susaan
    Down in the dumps with D.P.I.
    Someone wishes to use my photos for web,newspaper,banners,and asked me,

"What is the maximum DPI you can get when taking pictures with the Sony DSC H-9
    you use ?" (He is lookiing for 300 DPI + images)

I understand it is 72 D.P.I.-(the same as the Canon Rebel XTi I am shooting for),and that my present camera has issues with soft images,-done some digging,here,for example
    -http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyH9/page19.asp

--It has, quote, "Full' HDTV output only 1080i, not digital output (HDMI) "

:eek: Googling did NOT enlighten me.....

MY question is,"Do I have to trade up cameras to give him the quality he needs,or is there software I can use to up the definition of images ?
    - I have some quite reasonable ones with this camera I'd like to use . "
    P.S-
    As my enquirer works for my family biz,suggested cheekily that they buy me a Rebel,:D
    and see how much better the images get...it could happen ..lol !
  • 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
    Photo-John
    DPI Misunderstanding
    Susaan-
    It's easy to get confused about resolution since the term "DPI" is used sort of loosely to mean a few different things. All the really matters is the total number of pixels your camera captures. The 72 dpi you refer to is just the computer screen display resolution. That is - how many pixels it's set to show per inch when you open it in Photoshop or other software. If you take the total number of pixels your camera captures and divide by 300, you'll get the image dimensions at 300 dpi. And that's what your client wants to know.
  • 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
    susaan
    Re: Down in the dumps with D.P.I.
    OH,you don't know how happy that makes me-being new at all this..
    THANK YOU !
    -you guys make me look good !
    (Singing your praises)
    :23:
  • 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by susaan
    -you guys make me look good !

No - you make yourself good. We just help you better understand how it all works so you can present yourself in the best possible way :)
  • 06-08-2008, 08:12 PM
    susaan
    Thanks, My Captain...
    I put it badly...:blush2:

My Sony DSC H-9 goes back to the shop,today,after being able to identify several problems
    NOT connected with "user failure",a huge step,-would not have been brave enough without the information gleaned in these forums
    .I doubt they will refund me,-Asia seems to have its own rules,regardless of warranty-hoping to get a better one,these cameras seem to be induviduals...some are lemons...

Actually love the beastie,articulated screen allows me to shoot from places where no eye could possibly be,love the huge zoom,,where stage access is not cool,-but for the client I have mentioned,considering a new camera,DSLR,with the best photo quality I can afford.
    Since it will be down to the Canon Xti,XSi or EOS 40D,(which i like,- is a bit heavy in my hands,but claims to give poster quality images)....wondering if you would care to comment ?
  • 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM
    Photo-John
    Dslr
    Quote:

but for the client I have mentioned,considering a new camera,DSLR,with the best photo quality I can afford.
    Since it will be down to the Canon Xti,XSi or EOS 40D,(which i like,- is a bit heavy in my hands,but claims to give poster quality images)....wondering if you would care to comment ?

You should start a new thread on the Digital SLRs forum. But a really quick comment - they're all capable of "poster" prints. I sold a 6-foot tradeshow display image made from a cropped 4-megapixel Canon PowerShot G2 image, a few years ago. A lot depends on the image setup. If you do it right, you can make low-ISO Sony H-9 images look good at 36-inches or larger. The final purpose makes a difference, too. A tradeshow image isn't the same as a fine art photo for a gallery. And the client's expectations and standards make a difference, too. Unfortunately, there is a lot of incorrect information out there about image quality. And buyers often have a lot of that crap in their head - like, only certain cameras can make "professional-quality" images. That just isn't true. Quality counts. But content should come first. And if I can set up a great quality image from a point-and-shoot, my photo should be considered right alongside the image taken with a Nikon D3 or Canon EO 5D.

Sermon over. Start a new thread on the DSLR forum and let's discuss a new camera for you there :)
  • 06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
    susaan
    Re: Dslr
    Aye,aye,Captain,
    Enjoyed the sermon..!

"considering a new camera,DSLR,with the best photo quality I can afford.
    Since it will be down to the Canon Xti,XSi or EOS 40D,(which i like,- is a bit heavy in my hands,but claims to give poster quality images)...wondering if you would care to comment?"

I understand and appreciate what you have told me to date.
    Will watch the ISO more carefully.
    My images are being used for banners(across the road,mall posters,etc) -newspapers,promo. leaflets.and my manager does the editing,at present,(for band shoots)-as I'm still only a year into this job,from scratch.
    -when I retired from performing with the band,asked why no one took photos at shows..?
    my answer was a Sony DSC H-9 at the airport,on the way to Turkey,last Oct.
    Software is limited to -

1) Picasa,(quick look,deleting no hopers)
    2) Fast Stone (refining keepers)
    3) Photoshop CS2,just added,and am stumbling around in it.

Often have good stage access,even at big shows,with decent lighting,shots come out fairly well,but low light and movement shots are my main problems,-newly off auto settings,except for really crucial moments,where I can't set manual fast enough.

The Canon connection is because we have friends in the company,here,and my brother,who edits and shoots video,has a D40,which I can use occasionally.
    Been reading reviews of the Rebel series for weeks,learning ,making notes,-like what I'm reading,but think if a chance comes to get the D40,maybe I should go for it,and get used to its weight -(harder to handle when stage crawling,trying to hide behind an amp,and take a shot around the corner...) -after all,the trusty Dsc H-9 will be coming along with me,I've by no means mastered it.

I'm reading a lot about sensor size,crop cameras,etc,understanding more,but not enough,yet,and am addicted to the huge zoom on the Sony...
    (maybe why my photos are soft ?)

-the Canon D40 comes with a "EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens"..no where near enough zoom,most of the time,but can put a bigger (And heavier) one on my wish list,with a tripod...
  • 06-10-2008, 11:46 PM
    California L33
    Quote:

Someone wishes to use my photos for web,newspaper,banners,and asked me,

"What is the maximum DPI you can get when taking pictures with the Sony DSC H-9
    you use ?" (He is lookiing for 300 DPI + images)

I understand it is 72 D.P.I.-(the same as the Canon Rebel XTi I am shooting for),and that my present camera has issues with soft images,-done some digging,here,for example
    -http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyH9/page19.asp

--It has, quote, "Full' HDTV output only 1080i, not digital output (HDMI) "

:eek: Googling did NOT enlighten me.....

MY question is,"Do I have to trade up cameras to give him the quality he needs,or is there software I can use to up the definition of images ?
    - I have some quite reasonable ones with this camera I'd like to use . "
    P.S-
    As my enquirer works for my family biz,suggested cheekily that they buy me a Rebel,:D
    and see how much better the images get...it could happen ..lol !

Most of it's already been covered, but you should be able to use the H-9 with care for most of what you're talking about- depends upon how big you want to make your banners.

If you're getting soft images lower your f-stop and increase the shutter time. You may have to increase your ISO if you get blur, but then you'll be dealing with additional noise.

As for software that can help you, there's a plug-in for Photoshop that can give spectacular results with less than perfect images- ABsoft's NeatImage. It can remove noise and sharpen soft images as well. It's the best I've tried. It can get rid of artifacts without making an image look like plastic.

And if you're doing still photography, why does it matter if the camera's video out is 1080i (which is really good video) or HDMI?
  • 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM
    susaan
    Ta,California L33,
    I shoot a VERY lively band,on stage in varying light conditions-which is why I seek a DSLR,
    -the speed with only one action before the shutter clicks is vital...tried all combinations with the H-9,but it just seems too slow...

Sure, I could do better with what I have,aim to keep the Sony-but size DOES count-some of those banners are spanning roads,or hanging from malls.

Great link for the software,thanks,trying it out.

Think I will most likely end up with the Canon XSi,with a better kit lens than usual,so "They" say...but,oh look, ! -here comes the next model...Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS
    -but as there is no articulated screen,won't hold my breath..

Ah,yes,the video thingy..aim to practice some,this fall,in Turkey-my bad,got mixed up,there-from over-exposure to reviews.

Just wait 'till the Captain reads this...cringe.....I'll be in the galley all month...
  • 06-13-2008, 10:06 PM
    susaan
    UPDATE.

I did not understand why my photos were being offered unedited to clients of the band,
    seems its because huge banners,the size of a stage backdrop,for example,exaggerate any
    edits.

The Sony is getting a replacement lens unit,under warranty,seems some dust,a fiber were present when bought,said fiber has worked its way into the middle of the lens,over months of use.
    Hard to say how many of my problems were caused by this-and not my inexperience-but huge thanks to all who patiently answered me.

RE camera choice,seems the Canon Rebel XSi has come out on top of my research,due
    to great photo quality,weight,better kit lens,etc...give me a shout if you have a different opinion,please.