Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Willing to buy a new camera

Hello all,

I currently use Canon S5-IS and had 3.5 great years with it.
    I was thinking of buying a better camera.

I am looking for a camera that will allow me to change lenses, use higher ISO levels without killing my image, have a wider range of shutter speed and F key and more.

I was thinking about the Canon 550D, what do you think about it?
    (If you have any other offers, please keep it in the price range near it)

I like using MF much more than AF, and I was told that a reflex camera is all about the AF and if I dont use it, I shouldn't buy a reflex camera.. is it true?

I mean I can use AF, but I used only MF with my S5 for 3 years..

Please help me make the right choise.
    If you want to see my pictures to know what I like, here is my DA: Photography by MaorDesign on deviantART

THANK YOU!

Re: Willing to buy a new camera

canon is the best ;) t2I is the best !!!
    I can post a link yet but you can view my T2I shot at wwwxjayaproductioxtumblrxcom

all shot by a T2I stock lens.. skills + a little bit of photoshop

First of all, DSLR lens have manual focus rings, the point and shoots have an electronic control mechanism. Manual focus on a DSLR is certainly superior to a point and shoot.

However, even better than DSLR for manual focus is a compact system camera. They will have focus rings as well, but they also have an unlimited supply of lens available. All of the older manual focus lens for canons, pentax, olympus, nikon, etc etc (all of em) are adaptable to CSC bodies. The lens they sell at your local pawn shop can fit on a CSC camera. The focus control on older manual focus lens is muuuuuch better than modern AF lens as well, which are geared towards AF priority, because their focus rings are generally much larger with more gradual transition control.

To sweeten the deal, which will probably just go over your head but doesn't mitigate how awesome this is for manual focus, is full time depth of field preview granted by full time aperture control.

So, the DSLR is better than the point and shoot, and the CSC is better than the DSLR, as it relates to manual focus.

The Olympus E-PM1, Panasonig GF3, Sony NEX C3 are the 3 entry level options available right now with that available function. If you look into old used models you can check for earler Panasonic GF1/2 or Olympus E-PL1

Considering your mention of emphasis on manual focus, you would be doing a serious disservice to yourself to pick a DSLR over a CSC.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    First of all, DSLR lens have manual focus rings, the point and shoots have an electronic control mechanism. Manual focus on a DSLR is certainly superior to a point and shoot.

However, even better than DSLR for manual focus is a compact system camera. They will have focus rings as well, but they also have an unlimited supply of lens available. All of the older manual focus lens for canons, pentax, olympus, nikon, etc etc (all of em) are adaptable to CSC bodies. The lens they sell at your local pawn shop can fit on a CSC camera. The focus control on older manual focus lens is muuuuuch better than modern AF lens as well, which are geared towards AF priority, because their focus rings are generally much larger with more gradual transition control.

To sweeten the deal, which will probably just go over your head but doesn't mitigate how awesome this is for manual focus, is full time depth of field preview granted by full time aperture control.

So, the DSLR is better than the point and shoot, and the CSC is better than the DSLR, as it relates to manual focus.

The Olympus E-PM1, Panasonig GF3, Sony NEX C3 are the 3 entry level options available right now with that available function. If you look into old used models you can check for earler Panasonic GF1/2 or Olympus E-PL1

Considering your mention of emphasis on manual focus, you would be doing a serious disservice to yourself to pick a DSLR over a CSC.
    I dont know man.. I am torn a part.. Can't choose DSLR or CSC...
    I got used to use MF, but buying a CSC doens't feel as good as a DSLR.
    Can you show me more facts about the both and maybe your opinion about this..

Thanks.

I will say that the old Nikon D40 fits just about any old Nikon lens from the film era in manual focus. You can get a D40 cheap and buy lenses for $25-$40 each. I know that's not helping you but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MaorG View Post
    I dont know man.. I am torn a part.. Can't choose DSLR or CSC...
    I got used to use MF, but buying a CSC doens't feel as good as a DSLR.
    Can you show me more facts about the both and maybe your opinion about this..

Thanks.
    Why doesnt it "feel" as good as DSLR? The only difference, when you get down to it, is that the DSLR has a mirror, and an optical viewfinder granted by the mirror, making it bigger. The image quality of CSC cameras are equal, in fact, the NEX C3 uses the exact same 16 megapixel sensor that is in the $1500 Nikon D7000.

Don't think they are inferior just because they are smaller. They have a mirrorless small-flange design, that is whats different.

The facts are, that the mirrorless, small flange design allows them to use older manual focus lens provided by cheap adapters, ANY manual focus lens. The focus grip and ring on manual focus lens are built bigger, and with a more gradual transition of focus control, thus lending themselves better to manual focus control. Modern lens have smaller focus rings, with more sensitive focus transition. I know there is some perceived prestige and clout with DSLR, but don't think they are inherently superior to CSC, just because they are bigger, or whatever other reason.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 02-12-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    - Charlie

I dont know.. So why do people buy a DSLR? What's so good about it? Just the AF?
    Plus all CSC look pretty ugly.. I know it's stupid to think that.. it's just a camera but still.
    Is it easy contriling the MF on them?
    Will I have the same options as on a DSLR expect all the AF features?

CSC feels like a cheap substitute, only that it cost nearly the same as a DSLR.. So what's the point?

CSC sounds pretty cool as I can use all lenses for cheap..

How about video?

Seriously.. both are awesome 2 kinds of cameras but how am I supposed to choose?
    I mean it seems like CSC is MUCH better than DSLR, so why not many people buy it?

Thank you all.

DSLR has BEEN the standard for a long time. CSC is a newly developing standard (one that will inevitably overtake and replace DSLR, though thats a long time in the making).

The DSLR has PDAF points on the mirror, making it a bit better for continuous focus, and focus speed but only with high-torque AF gear, and/or fast aperture lens.

Cheap substitute? It "seems" like that because of wrong ideas that you have. They quite literally have every feature of a DSLR in their price range, with the exception of the mirror and viewfinder.

CSC isn't "much better" than DSLR, a CSC basically IS a DSLR without the mirror.

However, considering the fact that you desire to use primarily Manual Focus, in that case, the CSC is seriously much better for that. Granted by its small flange design, adaptability to any manual focus lens you desire, I think considering your desire for MF the CSC is the distinctly clear choice.

And lots of people are buying them, in more advanced markets the CSC camera is slowly overtaking DSLR sales.
    - Charlie

Umm.. it's not that I desire to use primarily MF, that's just what I do with my S5.
    I think that MF is more fun and easy, but I dont know if it really is better and I dont want to limit myself to some types of shooting.
    If I dont have a good AF I will have trouble shooting fast moving objects, right? It's not something I do very much but I might.

Can you give me the pros and cons about both of them? An article or a video maybe?
    And again.. CSC is just like DSLR with all the options and technology, just without a mirror and live viewfinder?

What CSC would you recomand in the price range on the 550D.

Thank you very much for helping.

Yes, good AF will do much better at capturing focus on a moving subject than manual focus ever could. But, manual focus has its place, especially with very magnified scene.

Some CSC's have a viewfinder, but it would be an EVF type and not an optical type. It has the advantage of giving you exposure feedback and menu controls, but its not an organic, through the lens view.

The pro's of DSLR are shrinking pretty rapidly as newer camera bodies and lenses continue to be released. Most of the advantages have to do purely with very high dollar accessories and would mean diddly squat unless you plan on making some $5k in investment. And even then, considering Sony has the LA-EA1/2, and there is the 43 to M43 AF adapter, full size DSLR lens are also compatible with CSC cameras.

The NEX and Panasonic miss a hot-shoe, the E-PM1 has a hot shoe, if you plan on attaching accessory flash, then the E-PM1 is the only entry level choice.

Personally, I think both DSLR and CSC have their place right now. But, if I were to go for DSLR, it would be for a pro-grade, like a 60D, D7000, D90, A77, 7D or 5D. I would certainly rather have a CSC like the E-PM1 or NEX than a rebel or a D3100...
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by MaorG View Post
    Umm.. it's not that I desire to use primarily MF, that's just what I do with my S5.
    I think that MF is more fun and easy, but I dont know if it really is better and I dont want to limit myself to some types of shooting.
    Your S5 has a tiny sensor and short focal length lenses with lots of depth of focus. You don't have to be very precise in your focussing.

CSC's and DSLR's have much bigger sensors therefore longer focal length lenses therefore less depth of focus. You have to be more precise in focussing. Plus the consumer DSLR models tend to have small viewfinders and it's not easy to see subject detail and judge if it's in focus. The Nikon consumer models have a green light in the viewfinder to indicate that focus is good but I don't know if the Canon models do. You can always use Liveview with the LCD screen on the back of the camera but that's just like using a CSC.

I wouldn't call manual focussing with a DSLR "Fun and easy". Usually the focussing ring on the lens is quite loose and you can easily knock it off-focus in handling the camera.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

CSC is a very new thing in the market as I see, so I think it's risky buying it now.. Both because of the high price and knowing who will it fit.

The idea of it is very cool.. Who wouldn't like buying lenses for cheap and having a smaller camera?
    I feel more safe in the DSLR zone and I need someone to shake me out of it or do the opposite..

I'm having trouble investigating all of the CSC features against the DSLR.
    I need more direction. It's so new to me..

Would it be easy controling the MF on CSC?
    Is there any difference between menual lenses and auto ones? (expect from the obvious)

What does an optical viewfinder give me exept better quality?

CSC is a very new thing in the market as I see, so I think it's risky buying it now.. Both because of the high price and knowing who will it fit.
    Now, its not risky, its rapidly growing and its started years ago. Its not high priced, only the high end of it is relatively higher price. The entry level is comparable, if not better value than competing DSLR.
    I feel more safe in the DSLR zone and I need someone to shake me out of it or do the opposite..
    There is no need to feel more safe, you are basing this purely on the appeared presence and ubiquity of DSLRs. But, there is no question within any professionals or experts mind as to the continued presence of CSC bodies in the market. The question at this point is, at which point in the future will CSC overtake DSLR ubiquity.

Would it be easy controling the MF on CSC?
    The same relative ease as a DSLR with AF lens, but with older lens, the MF would be better on it.

Is there any difference between menual lenses and auto ones? (expect from the obvious)
    Like I've said, the focus ring on the manual focus lens are always geared for more gradual transition, with larger ring grips. In addition to that, there is the option of aperture control on the lens, and not on AF models. There are more zoom models available on AF lens, but, forget those lol, fixed manual focus lens' is where its at.

What does an optical viewfinder give me exept better quality?
    It doesn't give you "better quality", it gives you a different means of composing an image, by looking directly through the lens you see an organic view of the scene.
    - Charlie

But what does an optical viewfinder do that a screen viewfinder doesn't? Like what are the pros of it..

And when I asked about the difference in lenses I meant more like in the quality of them.. I guess it's more likely to find a good quality AF lens than a MF old one.

There are more zoom models available on AF lens, but, forget those lol, fixed manual focus lens' is where its at.
    What do you mean?

What CSC would you recomand in the price range on the 550D.

The optical viewfinder "does" nothing, it is simply many peoples preferred method of composing an image.

I have a Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 lens that was manufactured in 1936, it has an 18 bladed aperture diaphragm and absolutely astounding resolution quality. Its focus transition is among the best quality around with its circular diaphragm at all apertures. I also get to use this excellent gem on my CSC camera. Being an old lens does not make it bad at all, this lens still is fetching some $1500 on ebay. Though older lens are more likely to have wear and tear issues, haze/fungus in the optics or sticky aperture blade, assuming you get a good condition one, there is generally very little qualitative difference if any. With older MF lens, you also tend to get MUCH better cost to value ratio, simply for sacrificing auto-focus.

Old manual focus lens are very often built to excellent optical quality standards. There are fewer super-telephoto primes and long zoom options for MF lens than modern AF ones. Modern AF lens can also be made for an APS image circle, affording a smaller size and longer zoom. This difference I think, for your intended purpose, is unimportant and irrelevant.

When I say "fixed manual focus lens", I'm speaking of lens that don't zoom. Lens that zoom are bigger, slower, and of lower quality, not just in MF days, thats a rule that still applies today to modern gear.

In the price range of the 550D, the options available are Olympus E-PM1 / E-PL3 / E-P3, Panasonic GF3 / GX1 / G3, or Sony NEX C3 / 5N. If you need a hot shoe to attach additional flash or PC sync, forget the sony's and the panasonic GF3.
    - Charlie

Thread Information