• 03-13-2004, 05:10 PM
    Steve Lutz
    2 Attachment(s)
    Digital Rebel, kit lens, photo example
    Just a FYI:

Here's one I shot today at ISO 100, with the Digital Rebel and the oft maligned kit 18-55mm lens. Here's a real world result for you to check out. 1/125 @ f/7.1

First the whole, uncropped but resized to 600x400 pixels photo, and then an unresize full crop approximately 600x400. No sharpening or any manipulation done. Saved with Photoshop v.6 Save for web" option at level 40. The shot was taken in "Large/fine" jpg mode.

I personally don't think this is bad at all.
  • 03-14-2004, 10:05 AM
    danag42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Lutz
    Just a FYI:

Here's one I shot today at ISO 100, with the Digital Rebel and the oft maligned kit 18-55mm lens. Here's a real world result for you to check out. 1/125 @ f/7.1

First the whole, uncropped but resized to 600x400 pixels photo, and then an unresize full crop approximately 600x400. No sharpening or any manipulation done. Saved with Photoshop v.6 Save for web" option at level 40. The shot was taken in "Large/fine" jpg mode.

I personally don't think this is bad at all.

Just make sure that after manipulating the photo you don't save it back to Jpeg, it's a lossy format. Use Tiff or if you use Photoshop, keep it as a .psd, that way you won't lose detail.
  • 03-15-2004, 07:03 PM
    Photo-John
    Looks really good to me. The main difference between Canon consumer and L lenses usually isn't sharpness. It's contrast and color saturation. Images shot with L lenses aren't neccesarily sharper. But they are snappier and have much more pleasing color. And the L lenses usually have faster, more accurate autofocus, too. But this is really very nice image quality. I think you get a lot for your money with that kit lens. It will be interesting to seehow the kit lens that comes with the Nikon D70 is. I've been using the kit lens that comes with the Pentax *ist D and I haven't had any complaints about it. I think that maybe digital SLRs are demanding that manufacturers make better lenses. Digital SLR sensors aren't as forgiving as most 35mm films. So if camera makers want their cameras to look good, they have to try to make sure people get decent lenses. Otherwise, bad lenses will make their cameras look bad.