Digital delay

Printable View

• 02-09-2004, 07:46 PM
    diesel
    1 Attachment(s)
    Digital delay
    As a long time user of 35mm SLR cameras, I am dismayed by the delay with the digital cameras. They are completely useless for action shots, and only marginal for snapshots. I am sure that if I dropped enough $$$ I could get past that, but maybe I am just a luddite.
  • 02-09-2004, 07:48 PM
    diesel
    An example of what I can do
    Well, I guess that this is cool, it would be difficult to do this with the SLR.
  • 02-09-2004, 09:39 PM
    Sebastian
    The shutter and focus lag of P&S digitals is no different than their film counterparts.

Only way to move up to fast focus and low lag is an SLR setup, big money in digital OR film.
  • 02-11-2004, 12:53 PM
    Michael Fanelli
    But...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel
    As a long time user of 35mm SLR cameras, I am dismayed by the delay with the digital cameras. They are completely useless for action shots, and only marginal for snapshots. I am sure that if I dropped enough $$$ I could get past that, but maybe I am just a luddite.

Consumer P&S digitals do have shutter lag thanks to the cheaper AF system. Remember, however, that people took action shots long before AF even existed! The P&S can be faster than even that if you learn to pre-focus. That is the money saving approach.
  • 02-11-2004, 03:10 PM
    Acadia25
    Ricoh has come out with some digital P&S cameras recently that may solve your problem. I don't think that they are available yet, but are advertised to have very short shutter lag due to a new combination auto focus system.

If response is really an issue, I would seriously consider getting a digital SLR.

Good Luck!
  • 02-11-2004, 03:12 PM
    Old Timer
    4 Attachment(s)
    I agree that the shutter lag on most consumer digitals is hard to live with. I have had a lot of frustration and failed pictures because of it. The method that I use to try and minimize the effect is to pre focus, as others have said, and anticipate the decisive moment and shot a little early. While doing this I will a shoot in burst mode and capture 3 to 5 frames than edit for the one that gives the best action in the sequence. My digital will only store 5 frames. Hope this might be something you can use.
  • 02-11-2004, 03:26 PM
    Liz
    Great sharp images..........be encouraged
    You've certainly got it down by the looks of these images. It's more work, but worth it once you learn just how to do it. And yes, you do miss some shots, and I too get frustrated with the time lag - however, I got the Rebel 300D that I use most of the time. Very sharp images - great composition. Nice.

Liz :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I agree that the shutter lag on most consumer digitals is hard to live with. I have had a lot of frustration and failed pictures because of it. The method that I use to try and minimize the effect is to pre focus, as others have said, and anticipate the decisive moment and shot a little early. While doing this I will a shoot in burst mode and capture 3 to 5 frames than edit for the one that gives the best action in the sequence. My digital will only store 5 frames. Hope this might be something you can use.

• 02-12-2004, 09:54 AM
    Old Timer
    Question for Liz????
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    You've certainly got it down by the looks of these images. It's more work, but worth it once you learn just how to do it. And yes, you do miss some shots, and I too get frustrated with the time lag - however, I got the Rebel 300D that I use most of the time. Very sharp images - great composition. Nice.

Liz :cool:

What about shutter lag on the Rebel 300D? Is it noticeable or prohibitive for sports photography? I have not heard anyone comment on it directly and I hope to upgrade to a DSLR this summer. Either the 300D or the new D70 Nikon is on the wish list but shutter lag will be a big consideration on this purchase.

Larry
  • 02-12-2004, 11:08 AM
    Liz
    shutter lag
    Hi Larry,

I don't think any of the DSLR's are plagued with shutter lag. I certainly haven't seen any with the Rebel. I think I read somewhere that there is no problem with any of them.

I found a world of difference between the P&S digital and the DSLR. You can't compare the two. You will be amazed just how much better it is to work with the DSLR - no matter what quality P&S you're used to. I expected the 300D to be better than my G3, and I love the G3. But, when I got the Rebel, I couldn't put it down - still can't. I love using this camera; it's the best investment I've made in photography. The results are amazing too.

Liz :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    What about shutter lag on the Rebel 300D? Is it noticeable or prohibitive for sports photography? I have not heard anyone comment on it directly and I hope to upgrade to a DSLR this summer. Either the 300D or the new D70 Nikon is on the wish list but shutter lag will be a big consideration on this purchase.

Larry