Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

digital camera for mom w/ twins

I usually try to research on various items I buy but this time I need some advise. I bought a Canon ELPH S330 two years ago before I had my twins. The shutter lag at that time was tolerable. Not only are they active and running around now, but it seems the shutter lag has become much longer. I have missed many shots of them. Alot of these pictures are taken indoors since we have long winters. I also need the camera to be small enough to carry in a purse or small bag. Please help point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by epoggi
    I usually try to research on various items I buy but this time I need some advise. I bought a Canon ELPH S330 two years ago before I had my twins. The shutter lag at that time was tolerable. Not only are they active and running around now, but it seems the shutter lag has become much longer. I have missed many shots of them. Alot of these pictures are taken indoors since we have long winters. I also need the camera to be small enough to carry in a purse or small bag. Please help point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    I hate to tell you this but the need for very low shutter lag to catch fast moving children in low indoor light is pretty much an impossible dream for small P&S cameras. If costs permit, the real choice here is a low-end digital SLR or a film SLR.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Proud Owner Of A Canon
    I have the PowerShot A70 and I have actually taken pictures of water hitting water (splashes) so apparently there isn't much shutter lag. The camera is only 2MP but it has an awesome lense, the pictures always turn out fantastic.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Not the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Canon Man
    I have the PowerShot A70 and I have actually taken pictures of water hitting water (splashes) so apparently there isn't much shutter lag. The camera is only 2MP but it has an awesome lense, the pictures always turn out fantastic.
    Catching water hitting water has much more to do with shutter speed. Plus, you can easily pre-focus in this case. She is talking about taking photos of fast moving kids, erratic in direction, and under indoor light. Not the same thing at all.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I like the Minolta G500, quite small, compact, and you can set it at ASA 400 F2.8 at 1/125 to 1/160 of a second, slight wide angle to make focus easier and watch the angle that you are shooting from. At 5 megapixels, the quality of the shot is also quite good.

I have got down on the floor in a kindergarten classroom and taken some excellent shots going as slow as 1/60 of a second at f. 2.8.

Ronnoco

Thread Information