Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Compatible Memory for Minolta Dimage G500

I'm a new user of the G500 (and this is my first digital camera). I purchased a 64 MB SD card, and am now looking for a memory stick as well - at least 128 MB, but maybe 256MB. I've heard complaints about 256 MB where you have to switch between the "halves" of the card. There's a SanDisk SDMSP-256-822 "Memory Stick Pro" that sounds good, and reasonable in price, but I'm thinking the Memory Stick Pro format may not be compatible with this camera.

Does anyone know whether it is compatible, or can you make other recommendations for memory sticks with this camera?

Thanks.

Why Memory Stick?

If you want a recommendation, I'd recommend buying a 256 MB SD or MMC card. Why do you want Memory Stick? SD memory is much more standard. The Memory Stick format is mostly used for Sony cameras. Is Memory Stick cheaper than SD memory for 256 MB? As for having to "switch between the 'halves'", I've never heard of or experienced that. That doesn't mean it isn't an issue. I've used mostly CompactFlash, and definitely never had to switch halves. And I've never heard of anyone complain of having to do that with any other type of memory either.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

memory stick vs. SD memory card

I, too, have a Dimage G500. This camera is relatively unique in the fact that it supports both types of memory cards (you can use them simultaneously).
    I've already upgraded to a 256 MB SD card (it came with a 16 MB card). So, my question -if I want to have A LOT of memory, should I buy an additional SD card and switch it out when I've filled up the first, or should I buy a Memory Stick so I can have both in the camera? Normally I don't take enough photos to have such a space issue, but I will be camping at a festival for ~ a month (with no computer to which I can purge out my photos).

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts.

Whatever Costs Less

I'd buy whatever costs less. I can't really think of any good reason why it would be better to have two cards in the camera at the same time. In fact, I think it would be better to have at least one card stashed somewhere else, just in case your camera gets lost or stolen. Then you wouldn't lose all of your photos with it. So, I'd just buy whichever of the two memory types is cheaper. I'm guessing that would be the SD memory.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I have G500

And I have yet to use the memory stick feature...I loved the option and maybe some day it will be worth it but I find the SD card to be more streamline and less expensive and you can get a 256 MB for like $50 at Bj's or one of the other wholesale clubs...

best buy also has mail in rebates on that size pretty frequently.
    I just bought a CF card for a new camera and it was 256 MB for 44.99 and a mail in rebate that took the price down to 24.99

have fun with your camera I love it...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information