Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Canon or Nikon? 8MP or 10MP?

Hi Folks,

I have been taking photos my entire life. My very first SLR was a Canon TX, after which I moved onto a Canon AE1 which I swear to this day was the best camera ever made. The quality of the photos from that camera were just superb. I actually still have both.

As a techno geek and IT guy I eventually moved to an early 2 MP Kodak point and shoot that at the time served it purpose, though I was never really happy being used to the quality and performance of my SLR's.

Now I am ready for a new DSLR. As a newcomer to this arena, though far from an ameteur photo enthusiast (I did my own B&W's as a young adult), I am completely and utterly scared to death to make the wrong decision. I know that technology will ocntiue to change, but I want to make sure I at least make an investment I will be happy with for some time. I am considering the Canon 30D.

Here is what I am baseing the decision on: The name, prior experience, technical reviews I have read (superb), price is acceptable, physical dimensions (I like bulky)

Here are my concerns: the one main concern is the 8MP limit. Should I be considering the new Canon Rebel XTI at 10MP? Or should I be considering the Nikon D80, or D200? I understand some of the technical pros and con differences between the Canon and Nikon series, but I guess my reall concern is the mega pixel ratings. WIl 8 mega pixels carry me forward in the coming years as opposed to 10 mega pixels? Will I be able to get the enlargement sizes from the Canon 30D 8MP that I desire, though huge blow ups are no really commonplace for me. There are times where a larger than 8x10 might be desired.

ANy advice? I am ready to purchase! I just received my cashback check from Discovercard.....YEAH!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Canon or Nikon? 8MP or 10MP?

Quote Originally Posted by aquamanlou566
    I am completely and utterly scared to death to make the wrong decision. I know that technology will ocntiue to change, but I want to make sure I at least make an investment I will be happy with for some time. I am considering the Canon 30D.
    The camera doesn't die when a new model comes out. If the camera takes great photographs now, it will take the same great photographs 20 years from now. Don't get caught up in some silly "gotta upgrade" nonsense as often happens with computers and cell phones.

Here are my concerns: the one main concern is the 8MP limit. Should I be considering the new Canon Rebel XTI at 10MP?
    The difference between 8 MP and 10 MP is minimal. Most people can't even tell the difference. Yes, consider the Rebel XTI although I think it is lighter than the 30D. You did say you like big and bulky!

Or should I be considering the Nikon D80, or D200? I understand some of the technical pros and con differences between the Canon and Nikon series, but I guess my reall concern is the mega pixel ratings. WIl 8 mega pixels carry me forward in the coming years as opposed to 10 mega pixels? Will I be able to get the enlargement sizes from the Canon 30D 8MP that I desire, though huge blow ups are no really commonplace for me. There are times where a larger than 8x10 might be desired.
    There are no real differences between Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, etc. Pick them up and choose the one you like best. The megapixel count is a very small part of image quality. Its the electronics around it and the quality of the sensor that makes the big differences. I have gotten better-than-35mm film 16x20s from a 6 MP Canon 300D (original Digital Rebel). Megapixels do sell cameras, though.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

The 30D can handle enlargements and posters with the right software. Heck, a pro 4MP DSLR can do enlargments with the right software and shooting in RAW.

The XTi is not bulky but maybe with the battery grip, you might like it. I just can't recommend the 30D since the XTi has the technology that 30D users want...10MP and sensor clean.

If you need 5fps and like spot metering then the 30D has it.

We are all speculating a 30D replacement in the Fall so maybe you can wait otherwise give the XTi a look and consider the battery grip for function and feel.

I don't know Nikons but I tried my friends D80 and it was nice.

Let us know what you decide.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Too much attention is paid to mega pixels.
    If you like bulky then consider the d200 or d80 as some people have a problem with the xti dimensions.
    If you can handle them at a store, do so.
    xti and d80 are very close in quality with some advantage to each with the xti being less expensive. Everyone who has a d200 loves them and they are sort of an advanced d80 with better body.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Sorry about being like everyone else and focusing too much on mega-pixels. I do believe that we are just trained via marketing to be that way. More is always better, no? Thats we we are taught to think. I just want to make sure I buy a camera that is going to last me for quite sometime and that it can deliver the quality and enlargements I might desire at some point. Limitations are not my favorite thing. I like many am just so scared to make a mistake.......Thanks

ok, so I also forgot to ask....does anyone think I should wait to see if there is a followup to the 30D coming out soon from Canon? Maybe it will incorporate some of the XTI features. Any insides????

I'm a nikon guy but I see in several threads that people do expect a 30d upgrade. Don't know when.
    I googled 30d upgrade and found several hits including this one http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KSys
    Keep Shooting!

Thanks Frog. That was actually a great thread. Only thing is that I am still so unsure as to what to do. I am still using my old Kodak DSC5000, which I hate. I am so anxious to buy a new camera and waiting longer is killing me. The Nikon D200 seems to be the better choice over the 30D right now, but it is a bit more $ and I do not know much about it. Can you tell me what might be some of the things it falls short in that I may want at some time? How about pricing? Know of a good priced dealer on the net? And last, should I buy the body and lens eparate or consider the kit? If separate, can you suggest a reasonable all around first lens? With kids in sports I really wanted a telephoto/zoom but with the increased camera price I might not be able to squeeze that in now if I go with the Nikon at the higher price.

Thanks man.

I've heard very little bad about d200 and my own impatience with wanting a camera is the only reason I don't have one. I went with d80 cuz I had the money.
    I bought mine with the 18-135mm as I figured it would be a good all around lens and I haven't been disappointed with it.
    As for dealers/price, make sure you look at the dealer feedback thread for ones to avoid.
    Ebay has good and bad dealers. Check to make sure they are authorized dealers if you want a manufacturer warranty. I can vouch for Cameta customer service but there are other authorized dealers that are good too.
    If you want to save some bucks, look at re-conditioned. There was a recent thread about them in the nikon forum. I believe they come with warranty and are factory reconditioned.
    There are reviews here and elsewhere with a full review in digital photography reviews and news .com
    My personal philosophy is to spend a bit more than I can afford but you must remember that this is not a cheap hobby. Lenses, filters, tripods, memory cards, cases, rocket blowers, etc., etc, etc.
    Not trying to discourage you..just something people need to realize.
    Keep Shooting!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I would not worry about MP
    I would worry more about getting 8 million or 10 million GOOD pixels

Canon announced the 1DmkIII with some XTi features, mainly the less dust generating materials, dust removal in DPP Raw software, and anti-dust shake system in front of the sensor.
    Also the user controls are more 20D like, which I'm very happy about.
    Improved auto focus.

And a £2999 price tag last time I looked online.

So for a solution the main bane of my life (dust) I'd go for the XTi
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information