Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Canon G3 owners please help

Okay, I recently purchased a Canon G3 off eBay. One day it seemed to start making a static scratchy noise during movie mode (you only hear it during playback not while its recording). I compared new movies with older ones I had taken and the older ones didn't seem to have the noise. So I sent it to Canon factory and they returned it and stated that they had performed the following:

replaced main pcb and adjusted focus. ccd,imaging process cleaned. checked all functions. p.s. optical noise is normal.

The noise was still present and I was not satisfied because I have older movies where the noise level is not present. So I was authorized to send it in again, and after waiting for 3 more weeks with no camera they simply returned it and said:

the unit is working well within factory specifications. no problem found movie mode audio is normal.*CXB19I17*

So, my question is for all other G3 owners - how is your movie mode audio? I'm ready to sell off my camera as I don't feel this is acceptable noise level. I have uploaded a sample movie clip that hopefully others can listen to and tell me if this is normal or not. It is 4.5mb so hopefully some of you have broadband!
    Here's the link:
    http://www.pet-pages.com/images/2004...Picture010.avi

The movie was recorded with absolutely no room noise at all, it was totally quiet.

Thanks, I will appreciate all feedback!
    Bobby

Sounds Bad

I downloaded the file and listened to it. It sounds like electronic static of some sort. In have no idea what would cause it or whether it's normal or not. I've used any digital camera in movie mode. But I do think there's a problem. Whether it's within Canon's specs is another issue.

I think, if video is very important to you, maybe you should invest in a dedicated DV camera. Your G3 is one of the best compact digital cameras. But video is just a bonus. It's not what the camera was made for. And I think it would be a shame to get rid of it ust because the video mode doesn't work right. I think you should keep it for still photos and take a look at real DV cameras. You'll have to spend more, but you'll have the right tool for the job.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information