Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Canon A80 LCD chattering/clicking noise

I just bought a new Canon A80 less than a week ago. I had tried this camera recently via a relative and decided it was for me. While testing it out during the 2 week return period I've noticed an internal clicking/chattering ( a few seconds) noise after the lens is extended (when turning the power on or using the 3X zoom). I don't think this was present on the other Canon I tried. At first I thought it was the lens but then I kept the LCD off while I extended the lens and the noise didn't happen. So it appears that this noise is happening when the LCD is adjusting. There is a similar noise when I push the shutter button half way down to preset. Is this a problem? Does anyone else notice this noise on their Canon Powershot? Thanks for any info.

Autofocus?

I have an A80 and I think that the sound that you hear is the camera focusing. Perhaps you should try standing in one spot and aiming the lense at different objects at different distances and half depressing the shutter button to focus on said objects. I think that as the LCD screen shows the subject come into focus, the chattering/clicking will stop. A quiet, internal chattering and clicking is a pretty good description of the sound that my A80 makes while focusing.

The A80 is a great camera, BTW. Hope it helps. (If it doesn't, obviously take the camera in...) Good luck!

If the Camera is in Auto mode all cameras do that adjusting to the light.... Point the camera into a dark area, then lift it into a well lit area and it'll click as well... the chattering is the autofocus trying to keep up with movement and zoom.... all camera do this when in Auto mode.... the one you tried first may have just had the settings altered in order to not focus all the time ....

I dont know about canaon, bu my camera has different focus modes, continuous, single point, etc. Also, I'm mostly using the manual features of the camera, cause the auto mode is good enough to expose many that I take. Then it's relly dark out, the auto mode has trouble selecting the right shutter speed and apperture settings!

Thanks for your replies. The extra noises I hear when I start up the camera are in any mode even manual mode. BUT.....If , while in manual mode, I lock in a manual focus, there is no noise when I zoom out 3x. or push the shutter part way down. Eureka! It has to be the autofocusing.

I did send a note to Canon Tech support.....here's their reply:
    "It is perfectly normal for the camera to make faint humming, whirring,
    or clicking sounds. This does not mean that the camera is malfunctioning."

I did end up going back to the store. I tried one of the A80s on display and the noises did sound similar to mine but mine has an extra added bunch of clicks at the end. I had the tech there try mine and he said it was a normal sound. He said it was the sound of the autofocusing and/or processor. I guess I just have an "extra chatty" camera.

Well, I believe whe chattering and clicking are the camera setting through the different apperture seetings.... in Manual mode on My Z2 when I go from 2.8 to 8.0 I can hear a very slight clicking sound... but anyways, glad all is ok!

Thread Information