Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera for jewelry pics

Hello,

I'm in the market for a good but affordable digital camera to take close up pics of jewelry with. That's all I need it for. No video or extra bells and whistles necessary. Any suggestions for a camera with excellent zoom and macro focus? A manual white balance would be helpful too. I'm trying not to spend more than $300. Thanks!
    Last edited by CourtneyMaurine; 10-13-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Re: Camera for jewelry pics

Hi - I moved this thread over to Digital Cameras where you might get more specific help. Actually, it's "White Balance" and "Macro Focus" - and by describing that you sound like you know what you're doing!

I don't keep up with all the new releases, but my old Nikon Coolpix 5000 does really well with both of these. It's been discontinued for a long time, but the Coolpix 8400 is the current version of it. This one is more than $300, but you might find a bargain on a Coolpix 5400 which came out after the 5000 and before the 8400. I'm sure there are many others out there too.

Re: Camera for jewelry pics

Hi! Thanks for your response...I edited my posting so that my lingo is proper!
    I will definately check out the Nikon Coolpix. Thanks again!

Another View Has Pointed You...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Hi - I moved this thread over to Digital Cameras where you might get more specific help. Actually, it's "White Balance" and "Macro Focus" - and by describing that you sound like you know what you're doing!

I don't keep up with all the new releases, but my old Nikon Coolpix 5000 does really well with both of these. It's been discontinued for a long time, but the Coolpix 8400 is the current version of it. This one is more than $300, but you might find a bargain on a Coolpix 5400 which came out after the 5000 and before the 8400. I'm sure there are many others out there too.
    In the right direction. I use a Coolpix 5700 and it's a great camera. I believe the Coolpix 5400 was known for it's macro abilities, so that is the one to get. Check around and see if you can find one. It will be more than $300 though, unless you can find a used one.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Another View Has Pointed You...

any camera you can hook up a macro flash ring would be good for your jewelry taking pictures

Thread Information