Camera Help - Basketball

Printable View

• 02-16-2006, 12:05 AM
    KillRoy
    Camera Help - Basketball
    Hey guy/gals,

New to the forum and was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions. I am currently in Iraq working as a contractor, but I also help run a Basketball recruiting site and do a lot of photo editing in Photoshop CS.

When I return home in a few months, I will be the sites photographer and need some assistance on what camera I should look into buying.

I will be covering HS and AAU tournament games featuring the Top HS players in the nation and the pictures will be used on our website and also a magazine we produce. I am looking to spend around 2,000.00 - 2,500.00 for the camera and lens. Can anyone suggest a good camera for the types of shots I will be taking and also a lens?

Thanks.

Kevin
  • 02-16-2006, 02:01 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Camera Help - Basketball
    I think this is covered over in the Sports forum.
    We've had this kind of question before.

My personal bias is for Canon, your problem is that basketball is indoors so you need a fast lens. Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM is my favourite (IS if you can afford it) and that will take over half your buidget !!
    I would look at the 20D for the body, because of its good noise performance.

But I have no idea of US prices to knwo if you can get that in your budget.
    I think it's possible as the 20D is around £900 here in the UK which means probably sub $1000 over there.
  • 02-16-2006, 09:36 PM
    KillRoy
    Re: Camera Help - Basketball
    Yeah, that lens is about 1500 US and the camera is just over 1000 US. It is right there where my limit is. I appreciate the suggestion!