Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera "downgrade" - advice appreciated!

Hello! I haven't posted for quite a long time, but I do pop on here and read from time to time. I have been looking around here for camera info, and am ready to ask some specific questions.

Right now I have a Nikon D80 with a kit lens and a prime 50mm lens that I use most of the time.

Over the last couple of years I have come to realize I don't have time to move forward with photography, or get a better understanding of my camera. I rarely take it out of an auto setting, and find the size to be cumbersome and awkward for what I am needing anymore. Neither of my lenses is ideal for everyday, and I don't like switching lenses around all the time.

I am planning to sell what I have and purchase a pocket camera that will get me similar, or possibly better image quality than what I am getting now. So in other words, a nice point and shoot that I can use for everyday things and also slip it in my purse or pocket. I do take portraits of my children, and currently volunteer to take headshots for our local children's theatre. People are thrilled with them, even when they get what I feel is definitely sub par. I am frustrated with what I get with this camera at times, and I just dont have the time to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have my eye on this one: Sony Cyber Shot DSC-RX100 but am wondering about similar options that I should consider before making the purchase.

Must have: HD video capabilities, F2 or larger for max apeture (I rarely use flash), fast shutter speed (this one has 10fps)

Would be nice: significant optical zoom (this one is only 3.6x), rechargable batteries, under $500

Other factors dont matter to me so much.. It doesn't have to be the newest model, or any specific brand. Thanks!
    Jodie

Re: Camera "downgrade" - advice appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolic View Post
    I have my eye on this one: Sony Cyber Shot DSC-RX100 but am wondering about similar options that I should consider before making the purchase.
    Well, you've chosen well. At the moment, the Sony RX100 is pretty much the best point-and-shoot on the planet - at least with a zoom lens. You're right, it isn't a huge zoom. But if you want more zoom you're going to have to sacrifice the image quality as the RX100 has the largest sensor of any pocket-sized camera on the market now.

If you do want to look at some of the alternatives, here are some cameras for you to take a look at:

Fujifilm X20 >>
    Fujifilm XF1 >>
    Canon PowerShot S110 >>
    Olympus XZ2 >>
    Panasonic Lumix ZX7 >>

There are some other options for you to consider. The Sony pretty much has the best image quality, although the Fujifilm X20 was just announced and it could be better. The X20 might be bigger than you want, though. It's not really a pocket camera. It has excellent feel and handling for a compact camera though and it's certainly smaller than your D90.

I think the Canon S110 has the longest zoom at 5x. The Canon S-Series has a proven track record, too. They are very popular and they definitely fit in a pants pocket. I actually like the Olympus XZ cameras better, though. There's just something about the Zuiko lens that I haven't seen in another compact camera. Whatever it is, you can't see it in a spec sheet. It's just a very special lens.

Take a look at these other cameras and then let us know where you're leaning. No matter what, it's a great time to be "downgrading" because the high-end compact camera options are very, very good
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Wow.. Thanks for the great advice. I will take a look at all the others you listed. I'm sure I would love the Sony, but my husband wants me to spend a little less. Story of my life! ;)
    Jodie

The x20 really appeals to me. I like using my viewfinder and that was one thing I knew I would miss if I went with a p&s that didn't have one. I also like the look of it. ;)
    Jodie

Quote Originally Posted by chocolic View Post
    I am planning to sell what I have and purchase a pocket camera that will get me similar, or possibly better image quality than what I am getting now. So in other words, a nice point and shoot that I can use for everyday things and also slip it in my purse or pocket...
    That's the RX100. I have one and the image quality is about the same as my D300 DSLR. It also has enough rings and dials and buttons to be fairly controllable, despite its tiny size.

Before the RX100 came on the market I checked out the X10. It's quite a bit bigger, the viewfinder was a little inaccurate but my chief concern was there was no information about focussing, exposure or anything in it (something that has been corrected in the X20). The X20 is cute but it's not the same thing as the RX100.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Advice is good i will apply

Thanks everyone. I decided that $600 was a bit too much for me to spend right now. I got the Fujifilm xf1 - it should be here tomorrow. I'll be sure to share my experience!
    Jodie

Thread Information