Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera to computer

I was wondering if, or how, I can hook up my 50D to my mac book to see pictures on my computer screen as I take them. Im just thinking in my makeshift macro studio it would be nice to see a full size picture right as it's taken. Is that possible? Any insight would be great. Thanks you very much.

Mitch
    ----- M -----

Re: Camera to computer

i tryed this out when i got my 40D. on the canon disc that came with my camera there is the EOS Utility program. in this program there is the option for 'remote shooting'. you have to have your camera hooked up to your computer with the USB cord and have this program open. you see in real-time on your computer screen what you would be seeing on your camera's LCD in live-view.

i don't know where my disc is now so i don't know if it's mac compatible. i would hope it is if it's coming from such a huge company. but with the canon programs installed you should have the 'EOS Utility' program, which is where you find the option for what you want to do.

Thanks very much I will give it a try and let you know what happens. I appreciate it.

Mitch
    ----- M -----

Tech Fanatic

+1 for EOS utility, works great for fine focusing projects! There is even an area where you can finely tune your focus in the EOS utility without touching the camera!
    This is my Nikon. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Nikon is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My Nikon, without me, is useless. Without my Nikon, I am useless. I must fire my Nikon true. I must shoot straighter than any enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will....

Hey guys, I finally tried it. It's great!! I just fooled around with it but I'm excited to utilize it on my next project. Thanks for all your help!

Mitch
    ----- M -----

Never used my camera tethered to the computer. It's good to get a report on it here, though. I do use Live View and appreciate being able to zoom in for critical manual focusing. So I can see how this would be useful. Thanks for posting a follow-up
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information