Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Help... Need advice about CF cards

Hello everyone, I want to start off by saying that I'm new to the digital world, I just purchased a Canon S1 IS. I looking to get another CF card and wanted some info about the different types and speed. With the camera I do have a 32 card, I also purcashed a 512 Kingston. I was thinking about getting another 512 or a 1gb card. I'm really lost about the speed of cards and which ones are better then the others. I'm using the carnera for sport and pictures of family and friends, also scenic pictures. I know that the speed factor is the best thing for taking sport shots. Thanks in advance.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Help... Need advice about CF cards

Hey James,

Check out this thread. There is a link in that thread to a site with TONS of CF card info.

What's the best Compact Flash
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Hello everyone, I want to start off by saying that I'm new to the digital world, I just purchased a Canon S1 IS. I looking to get another CF card and wanted some info about the different types and speed. With the camera I do have a 32 card, I also purcashed a 512 Kingston. I was thinking about getting another 512 or a 1gb card. I'm really lost about the speed of cards and which ones are better then the others. I'm using the carnera for sport and pictures of family and friends, also scenic pictures. I know that the speed factor is the best thing for taking sport shots. Thanks in advance.
    For P&S cameras, the speed of the camera itself is almost always the speed bottleneck. Faster cards don't make the camera operate any faster. Fast reaction time for sports is not improved by faster cards, that's an AF issue.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I have Lexar cards rated from 24x to 80x, and in my Coolpix 5000 I can't really tell any appreciable difference. That camera is a few years old, and newer cameras generally write faster than older cameras. I haven't taken a stopwatch to it, I'm talking about real-world - at least in my case. It's just not a fast camera, that's all.

CF cards are almost a commodity these days. I stick with Lexar because I did have a problem once and they were great about taking care of it quickly. Just because of that, I'm sticking with them. I buy the fastest cards they have available at the time, but mainly because these cards include their latest data recovery software, etc. Also the speed is somewhat of a factor in my DSLR, but mine isn't exactly lightning-quick either... ;)

thanks for the help everyone.

mjs1973, I'm going to read that right now.

and again thanks for the info.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Lexar...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I stick with Lexar because I did have a problem once and they were great about taking care of it quickly. Just because of that, I'm sticking with them. I buy the fastest cards they have available at the time, but mainly because these cards include their latest data recovery software, etc. Also the speed is somewhat of a factor in my DSLR, but mine isn't exactly lightning-quick either... ;)
    Let me quickly present the other side of Lexar. No Lexar memory product that I have ever bought worked for any length of time. My Lexar CF card died within months. Lexar exchanged it with no problems. But the replacement card died soon after.

USB keys had the same problem. I purchased a Lexar USB key along with the CF card. It lasted about 8 weeks and died. The replacement lasted only 2-3 weeks.

A few months ago, there was also some incompatability between Lexar cards and Canon cameras. I'd never trust Lexar to produce anything I need to work.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Re: Lexar...

I know kingston is good with system memory, when I had warranty issue, I got a replacement before I even sent the original stuff back, turns out it was a motherboard or processor problem to begin with.

Here's a good place to get flash memory
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=68
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Thread Information