Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Camera Brands

Camera Brands

Hey I'm new to the board and I was just wondering my birthday is coming up and I want a digital camera, but not for anyhting serious just like trips and school. I want a camera for around 110 to 120 bucks. I'm probably gonna buy from ebay and I pretty much know which camera I want which is the Kodak cx6230 but, I was just wondering I keep seeing these like 80 and 90 dollars cameras that are like 3 and 4 mega pixel. You can tell their brand is a little sketchy. I was just wondering whether I should get the kodak and buy less accessories or get a cheaper brand and buy more memory and stuff. What do you think? Thanks

Buy a camera from a well-known manufacturer. Kodak should be a safe bet. They do plenty of R&D and have a reputation to protect. Their cameras also get good reviews on this site. Buying a cheap camera from an unknown company is too risky, in my opinion.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

>>>>>>I was just wondering whether I should get the kodak and buy less accessories or get a cheaper brand and buy more memory and stuff. What do you think? Thanks<<<<<

Here is another option for you to consider: Maybe you have a friend or relative that has a used 2 yr old digital camera with at least 3 MP. Like a nikon 880, 885 something like that. See if you can talk them into upgrading and give them $120-$150. You'll get a camera with a LOT more features available to you, and with sufficient resolution to print a very nice 8 x 10 pic from a photo printer.

I know it is a bit of a gamble buying a used camera, but you can lessen the risk is you are a smart shopper.

The reason I bring this up, is that with a new, low end camera, no matter what, you will get low-end results. The prints from a photo-quality printer even at highest res and a 4" x 6" size will be soft, compromising in the metering department, and just "low-end". If you get into this hobby, it will be very soon that you will be drooling for a camera that will give you better results.

I had a Nikon 880 for 2 years before I bought my 5700. Now with d-slr bodies at $1,000, it is time to upgrade again.

Thread Information