Buying a new camera

Printable View

• 06-27-2012, 01:53 AM
    MaorG
    Buying a new camera
    Hello,

I was thinking of buying a new camera.
    I had my canon s5 for 4 years now and I want a DSLR now (I guess)

Which camera will you recommend?
    Because I dont live in the US, the price range is different, so I'd say around the price range of T2i (Canon 550D).

As for now I think im gonna buy the 550D.
    Would you recommend buying another one?

here is my DA if you want to "know me better", so you'll se if it fits me.
    Photography by MaorDesign on deviantART
  • 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
    emoxley
    Re: Buying a new camera
    The T3i is out now. If you can swing it, you might be better off to get that one.
    Some nice photos in your link. I like the eye......... :)
  • 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM
    MotorToad
    I bought used, and I'd recommend it. So far I've owned 3 bodies and six lenses and I haven't spent what a new T2i costs. And counting what I've sold I haven't spent anything. (Honestly!)

I wouldn't recommend, though, that you go in as blindly as I did. I've been careful in my shopping, but I've also been very lucky a couple of times. Out of my first purchase of an XT and three lenses, one lens was a complete throwaway and one lens only went through part of its zoom range, but I sold that for $50 more than I paid for it. :)

Anyway, when you get to the 8-10 MP era of cameras, you're looking at $250-350 for the body, instead of $600-1500. Lenses are often around half price. But you do then have the issue of flaky sellers and broken gear, but that just takes time and judgement to work out. It helps, too, that I'm in Silicon Valley so the local craigslist is steaming with used gear. And dealing with DSLR equipment you're usually dealing with better people than the rest of the used market.
  • 06-28-2012, 02:37 AM
    MaorG
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emoxley View Post
    The T3i is out now. If you can swing it, you might be better off to get that one.
    Some nice photos in your link. I like the eye......... :)

You mean the T4i, and It costs like twice as much (for the body) as the T2i in my country LOL..
    And thank :) Glad you liked it!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorToad View Post
    I bought used, and I'd recommend it. So far I've owned 3 bodies and six lenses and I haven't spent what a new T2i costs. And counting what I've sold I haven't spent anything. (Honestly!)

I wouldn't recommend, though, that you go in as blindly as I did. I've been careful in my shopping, but I've also been very lucky a couple of times. Out of my first purchase of an XT and three lenses, one lens was a complete throwaway and one lens only went through part of its zoom range, but I sold that for $50 more than I paid for it. :)

Anyway, when you get to the 8-10 MP era of cameras, you're looking at $250-350 for the body, instead of $600-1500. Lenses are often around half price. But you do then have the issue of flaky sellers and broken gear, but that just takes time and judgement to work out. It helps, too, that I'm in Silicon Valley so the local craigslist is steaming with used gear. And dealing with DSLR equipment you're usually dealing with better people than the rest of the used market.

I am not willing to buy a used camera.
    I am going to buy it in the local shoppes (where I can trust it to be genuine + good warranty)
    I think of myself as a smart shopper, it always takes me a lot of time buying things like camera, PC parts and all of the electronic gear we use daily..
    So that's not my problem. My problem is finding what's best for the price.