Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Brightness change after uploading pictures

I have just bought a Canon Powershot S60. When I upload pictures to my computer the brightness of the pictures seems to consistantly decrease. Increasing the brightness by about 4% seems to rectify this.

I don't want to have to keep adjusting the pictures or risk losing quality by resaving them. How do I tell whether the brightness change is due to jpg losses or whether it is my monitor/computer settings?

Thanks.

If you're comparing to the LCD monitor on the camera, that's more unreliable, I think. Do you have a histogram on your camera that you can reference?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Ghost
    Hi, it's your computer/monitor settings that are cause your images to "appear" brighter. In reality, they haven't changed brightness at all.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piebald
    I have just bought a Canon Powershot S60. When I upload pictures to my computer the brightness of the pictures seems to consistantly decrease. Increasing the brightness by about 4% seems to rectify this.

I don't want to have to keep adjusting the pictures or risk losing quality by resaving them. How do I tell whether the brightness change is due to jpg losses or whether it is my monitor/computer settings?
    If you are judging brightness using the LCD, don't. LCDs are not designed for that, use the histogram.

If you have not calibrated your monitor, you need to do that. Monitors are notoriously bad for photographs as non-photographic applications can't tell the difference between calibrated and non-calibrated. The simple calibration program that comes with PhotoShop is good enough for most purposes.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    If you are judging brightness using the LCD, don't. LCDs are not designed for that, use the histogram.

If you have not calibrated your monitor, you need to do that. Monitors are notoriously bad for photographs as non-photographic applications can't tell the difference between calibrated and non-calibrated. The simple calibration program that comes with PhotoShop is good enough for most purposes.
    The histograms vary but a large number are biased towards the left. What does this mean exactly? I haven't got photoshop. Is there a free calibration tool somewhere?

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piebald
    The histograms vary but a large number are biased towards the left. What does this mean exactly? I haven't got photoshop. Is there a free calibration tool somewhere?
    If your histograms are towards the left, they are probably too dark. A very good introduction to histograms can be found at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

I don't know of any free calibration tools. Perhaps someone else here has some information for you about this.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information