Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Ring flash for Canon DSLR and 72mm thread?

I'm looking for a ring flash to use for fashion, etc. All I'm finding is a ring flash "not recommended for digital SLRs". This include's Canon's ML-3, a cheapo Phoenix model, and the Vivitar 6000AF. What happens if I put it on a D30 or D60 (the body I should be getting in the next couple of weeks)? Will I just lose TTL?

Also, my 28-70/2.8 is a 72mm filter size. I haven't found a ring flash with an adapter bigger than 58mm. What gives? Will I have to buy another lens just to fit this flash? It doesn't seem like it's worth it. Thanks for any help!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    I'm looking for a ring flash to use for fashion, etc. All I'm finding is a ring flash "not recommended for digital SLRs". This include's Canon's ML-3, a cheapo Phoenix model, and the Vivitar 6000AF. What happens if I put it on a D30 or D60 (the body I should be getting in the next couple of weeks)? Will I just lose TTL?

Also, my 28-70/2.8 is a 72mm filter size. I haven't found a ring flash with an adapter bigger than 58mm. What gives? Will I have to buy another lens just to fit this flash? It doesn't seem like it's worth it. Thanks for any help!
    here is one of many for FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=259119&is=REG

here are the ones for shooting MACRO

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

QUITE $$$$ huh? fashion and nature are APPLES and ORANGES when it comes to "ring light"
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Dang, that's a lot more than the $150 jobbies I was looking at, lol. Yea, I don't think I need this ring flash that much after all ;) Thanks for the reply!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    Dang, that's a lot more than the $150 jobbies I was looking at, lol. Yea, I don't think I need this ring flash that much after all ;) Thanks for the reply!
    not a problem!

the painful truth is one of my better qualities so i've been told
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information