Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Canon G6 or Olympus C8080 (or another?)

Hi there,

I'm looking at getting a new digital camera, i've been reading reviews of cameras left right and centre, and i'm eyeing up either the Canon G6 or the Olympus C8080, which are both available to me for around the same price.

Both of the cameras have what I need in terms of manual features - I do a lot of indoor shots (mainly of my cat!), and landscapes including sunsets which I have found some cameras to have a problem with. Also I will use it for holiday photos so battery life is quite important. I've had my hands on the C8080 as my place of work has one, and i'm quite impressed. However, the Canon also gets excellent write ups, one I read even compared the image quality to that of some dSLR cameras. Video is not important for me.

I tried out a Fujifilm E550 compact 6mp camera, but to be honest, its way too small and I had loads of problems trying to get sharp pictures - most of them turned out blurry, which i've read is common with cameras this size. It also had a few niggling problems which put me off.

Any suggestions which to go for? Or perhaps there is another camera in this price range I am overlooking? Perhaps I should just blow a bit extra and get the Digital Rebel? I am a bit concerned about the lack of metering options (so i have read) on the rebel though.

Many thanks,
    Last edited by Cactusweasel; 10-10-2004 at 04:54 PM.

Thread Information