Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Pocket-sized mountain bike digicam?

Hi,

Any suggestions for a pocket Mountain Bike digicam? I've been using Pentax W60, want better video, and am trying Panasonic ZS3. ZS3 is great but sports mode shutter speed can still be slow. I see it's ZS7 replacement has manual shutter speed but some other reviews say or hint that image quality is not as good as ZS3.

Stereo sound is important. I am considering Sony HX5, but am not sure it's as sharp as the Panasonics.

FWIW: So far I have not seen a way to trick the sports mode scene, and setting regular shooting mode to high ISO and spot focus is not so fast when you're on the trail.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Pocket-sized mountain bike digicam?

Sorry it took me a while to get to your question. You know I have some thoughts on the subject

First of all, have you read the digital camera article I wrote for our mountain bike Web site, Mtbr.com? I assume you have. But just in case you haven't, and for anyone else that might be interested, here it is:

Top Five Mountain Bike Digital Cameras

If we're talking about point-and-shoots, I think there are two types of cameras to consider - pocket superzooms and the "rugged" cameras. You already have the Pentax Optio W60 so you've got the waterproof and shockprooof covered. It sounds like your top priorities are better sports photos and better video. For better sports photos, I think technique is going to be more important than any camera specs or features. Point-and-shoot camers just aren't fast enough. Basically, panning and planning are required. Don't expect the shutter lag or program mode to do the job. Set up your shot and pan to ensure a sharp, well-composed photo.

For video, you'll need the latest. Many of the new point-and-shoot cameras have 720p video. I've shot a few clips but have yet to edit any, so I can't really comment on the quality. But the resolution is there for sure. The Panasonic Lumix ZS7 should definitely be at the top of the list since it also has manual exposure control. However, I've found that even when a point-and-shoot camera has manual exposure controls, I still prefer program, aperture priority or shutter priority. So I don't really care that much about the manual controls. Still, if they were there, I'm sure I'd use them.

I think you should take a look at Casio's pocket superzoom, the Exilim EX-FH100. It has 720p video and can capture lower resolution video at up to 1000 FPS for sweet slow motion clips. It can also capture lower resolution stills at 40 FPS. For anyone into outdoor action sports, I think this would be a very cool camera. I really want to get one for testing.

The absolute best point-and-shoot I've used is the Canon PowerShot S90. It's a little bigger than other pocket cameras but may actually be a bit smaller than the ZS7 and other poakcte superzooms. It has the best image quality of any pocket camera I've ever used. It also has manual exposure controls. I though it was great for mountain bike photos. However, it does not have 720p video. You can't have it all, I guess.

For outdoor stuff, I still think waterproof point-and-shoots are the best. For skiing and snowboarding they make a huge difference. For fair weather mountain biking it's not going to matter so much. But the new waterproof cameras do have 720p video. What they don't have is great image quality, manual exposure controls or a 10x zoom lens. So it comes down to waterproof vs features. You'll definitely be able to use the ZS7 or another waterproof camera in ways you wouldn't be able to use a new waterproof P&S. But you'll have to leave those cameras home when it's raining or if you want to do something in or around water.

I'm sure I haven't answered your question. But hopefully I laid out the issues a little better for you. Let me know if this helped or not.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi,

Thanks.

That Casio was not in my radar. I thought I had spotted everything small in size with stereo. I see it has 230,000 dot screen.

I just picked up the ZS7, battery charging, and I'll try it tonight. I do want to see if the GPS will be useful for trail building. One thing about the Panasonic ZS3, 7 is that screen. The higher dot count is nicer than I thought it would be - really helps composing and chimping your shots.

The S90 was in my sites early on, but it doesn't have the video performance.

No matter this purchase is as important for wife and kids as for biking and my W60 will be my sweat, dirt and bump resistant camera.

I do understand the limitations of these little cameras and it's not like some who expect SLR performance.

I will try to think of reporting back on the ZS7 and whether or not the manual shutter and GPS are worthy.

Thanks again.

FYI: The ZS7 is a keeper. I like the option for manual shutter control, IS is improved, and video focusing is improved when zooming.

Sweet! Thanks for the follow-up post. I was really impressed with the ZS3 when I got to use it at the intro. It's the camera that really sold me on the pocket superzoom concept. Please write a real review when you feel ready. And also let us know what you think of the GPS feature. I'm thinking I need to do a camera GPS article. I didn't get it until someone showed me the search potential. Now I'm really interested.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Sweet! Thanks for the follow-up post. I was really impressed with the ZS3 when I got to use it at the intro. It's the camera that really sold me on the pocket superzoom concept. Please write a real review when you feel ready. And also let us know what you think of the GPS feature. I'm thinking I need to do a camera GPS article. I didn't get it until someone showed me the search potential. Now I'm really interested.

Hi,

I'll try to keep that (a review) in mind. I am giving it some time with functions and menu features I have not considered using in the past

It's like all of the pocket cameras where it's not fair to compare them to SLR or cameras with big sensors but people do. I give it the nod as a winner if you like the manual controls and want a not bad mini HD camcorder with you at about all times.

Take care.

Thread Information