Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

A200 canon powershot help (customer support)

ok get this, i received a the above camera as a christmas present in december 2002. All was going well until just as i move countries (to new zealand) in december last year, the camera stops working at my first stop, brisbane. It gets some e25 error. Thats all well and good but i left the warrant back in Perth, and there is no chance of getting someone to look for it, because i dont know where it is exactly. I take it to camera shops in my new home, christchurch, but they all say all they can do is send it to canon in Auckland for a quote, which will cost $50. So eventually i take it to a canon office in christchurch, and they send it off, but they dont tell me it will also cost $50. So finally after a month i get a call from canon saying it is uneconomical to fix my camera, which has some optical problem, and they want me to pay $50. So i get a broken year old camera and $50 out of my pocket. This doesnt seem very fair, because a. they havnt provided a quote, yet they want me to pay $50, and b. It is a year old camera, i mean yeh, products these days dont last, but jeez, .it was a $330 camera!! So does anyone know what i can do? All i want is my camera fixed and back, with minimal spending. Also i didnt drop it or anything, it just broke.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Imho

Quote Originally Posted by atre
    ok get this, i received a the above camera as a christmas present in december 2002. All was going well until just as i move countries (to new zealand) in december last year, the camera stops working at my first stop, brisbane. It gets some e25 error. ...
    Ok. First, you have a broken camera that you were told would cost $50 to look at. You brought it to Canon and expected them to skip the $50 fee? Without proof of warranty, you can't expect that.

I often misplace warranty info and reciepts. I know how that goes. But I never expect the manufacturer to just "trust me." Your option was to wait to get home, find the warranty info, and get the camera replaced for free.

I just don't see how Canon is to blame for any of this.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information