Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Well I dropped my camera for the first time. 5ft :-(

I recently dropped my camera about 5ft onto a semi-hard floor, and I'm wondering if the camera itself could have sustained any damage. It had a 28-135mm on it, with IS, could the IS have been damaged? How about the lens mount? What should I look for and how can I tell if its damaged anywhere? The camera seems to be operating fine, takes pics great, nothing wrong from first look, although i dont know if anything mechanical inside has become damaged.

I am extremely suprised that my 6gb microdrive CF card was unscathed! Ive heard that they break from a 1" drop, and 5ft didnt slow it. I have not been let down by this CF card, i dont know why people dont use microdrives more often. If you take care of your stuff, it works great, everybody complains of it breaking after dropping it once.

so to make this thread a bit fun... Have you dropped your camera? anything happen? damage?
    -Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Well I dropped my camera for the first time. 5ft :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedingSphere
    I recently dropped my camera about 5ft onto a semi-hard floor, and I'm wondering if the camera itself could have sustained any damage. It had a 28-135mm on it, with IS, could the IS have been damaged? How about the lens mount? What should I look for and how can I tell if its damaged anywhere? The camera seems to be operating fine, takes pics great, nothing wrong from first look, although i dont know if anything mechanical inside has become damaged.
    If you can't see any difference with the photographs, I wouldn't worry about it. If something is broken, it isn't making any difference.

I am extremely suprised that my 6gb microdrive CF card was unscathed! Ive heard that they break from a 1" drop, and 5ft didnt slow it. I have not been let down by this CF card, i dont know why people dont use microdrives more often. If you take care of your stuff, it works great, everybody complains of it breaking after dropping it once.
    You were lucky. The microdrive is a mehanical device, a tiny hard drive. Imagine ripping the hard drive out of your computer and dropping it 5 feet to the ground.

Microdrives no longer have a cost advantage, they can not be used above 8500 feet or so (tough in the mountains), are much more fragile than a memory card, and write more slowly. That's why they have lost their popularity.

so to make this thread a bit fun... Have you dropped your camera? anything happen? damage?
    Once my Pentax LX fell into the sand at the Sand Dunes National Park while I was changing film (open back). I have also had cameras fall off of the backs of motorcycles Only the LX needed a full cleanup.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Oh man! When I saw your title I thought you might had dropped it with your 400mm + extension tubes. I bet all of those would have popped off and you'd be chasing those tubes as they went rolling away!

As it were, I think you lucked out.

As for dropping my camera - no. But I did drop myself (along with camera) into a river of 50-degree chilly water. My wife's $1300 point-and-shoot 35mm Contax camera was not very waterproof But $700 later, it was good as new
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

nooo omg im glad it wasnt my 400, lol...

ok so i shouldnt worry, thats good, its taking pics fine. :-)
    -Mike

I dropped my camera last night. I layed it in the middle of my bed, and I pulled a cord for my laptop out of the bag and it dragged the bag, the bag latched on, and it pulled my camera off the bed. I heard something thump and I thought it was nothing, so I went back over to get it...and I stepped on the lenscap and it popped off. Luckily I only stepped on the lenscap.

It fell on rug so it wasn't as bad as hard floor.
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

Well!! If the pictures are still coming out straight it means that your camera is fine… and you need not worry about it… but guys take care of your cameras and don’t just keep dropping them…

:mad2:
    U love buying cameras like me | Check out these sites

http://www.xpbargains.com/
    http://www.dealplumber.com
    http://www.amazon.com
    http://www.dealsea.com/
    :thumbsup:

first time I dropped it, I wasnt even near it when it happened. It was sitting ontop of a freezer and somebody shut the door to it, i heard BOOM and im like CAMERAAAAAA, the dial turned to A-DEP, and it didnt show shutter speed/aperature, and I thought it was a goner.. lol...
    -Mike

Thread Information