• 05-04-2004, 10:22 PM
    minu
    10x optical zoom v/s 3x optical
    Hi, I'm new to both digital photography as well as this forum. So please excuse me if I sound like I'm asking stupid questions.
    I've been scouring the net for various models of digicams in the 3MP range. I've narrowed my search to OLYMPUS C-740 Ultra Zoom and the KONIKA MINOLTA Dimage Zi. Both have almost identical features as well as 10X optical zoom, whereas other cameras in this price range (<300$) all offer 3X or 4X optical zooms.
    My question is: Can someone tell me how important 10X optical zoom as compared to 3/4X? Also, which would be the better camera?
  • 05-05-2004, 11:00 AM
    OlympusGuy
    welcome
    The 10x and 3x all this stands for how far out you will beable to zoom into somthing. A 3x optical is about( 38 – 114mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
    and a 10x is (38 – 380mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
    Thats is how far or close it will zoom. The 740 is good camera, just be aware that it is a older model. and there are 3 newer ones after this the 750 wich is still about year old then 2 newer ones the 765-770. the 765 is the currently the worlds smalest 10x digital camera. but the 740 is still a great camera it uses the xd card not Smart Media wich is going to be gone soon. So you will be fine with the 740. it has 3 Mega pixels and other ones have a 4.0.
  • 05-05-2004, 01:42 PM
    Photo-John
    Generally, shorter zoom ranges mean better optical quality. That doesn't mean that a 10x zoom lens will take bad pictures. But more design compromises need to be made to make longer zoom lenses. Longer zooms also mean a larger camera and the require electronic viewfinders instead of optical viewfinders. Think about whether you actually need that much lens before you pay for it. You might actually be happier with a smaller, higher resolution camera for the same price.
  • 05-07-2004, 05:54 AM
    minu
    Thanks very much for your quick response.
    Since I've never even held a digicam in my hands before, let alone used one, I'm not very clear about the disadvantages of an electronic view finder over an optical one. Besides, for landscape photography, wouldn't a higher value zoom (10x) be better than a lower value(3x) one?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Generally, shorter zoom ranges mean better optical quality. That doesn't mean that a 10x zoom lens will take bad pictures. But more design compromises need to be made to make longer zoom lenses. Longer zooms also mean a larger camera and the require electronic viewfinders instead of optical viewfinders. Think about whether you actually need that much lens before you pay for it. You might actually be happier with a smaller, higher resolution camera for the same price.