• 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM
    Photo-John
    Who Makes The Best Mirrorless Camera System?
    Which mirrorless camera system do you think is the best? I posted a new Quick Poll to find out what people like the best right now:

Which Mirrorless Camera System Is The Best?

Feel free to share your reasoning here on the forum but make sure you vote, too. Discussion is great but we need as many votes as possible. You can share the poll, too. The more votes, the better :)
  • 11-16-2012, 06:02 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Who Makes The Best Mirrorless Camera System?
    Olympus has pulled into the lead. Have you voted yet?
  • 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM
    fotomatix
    This question is haunting me at the moment. In 3 weeks I will purchase my new camera system. It's down to the wire. Olympus OM-D vs Sony Nex 6 vs Fuji XE-1. I've watched dozens of youtube video reviews and read countless others...seems to me that I really won't be making a bad choice, especially between the Oly and Sony.
  • 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fotomatix View Post
    This question is haunting me at the moment. In 3 weeks I will purchase my new camera system. It's down to the wire. Olympus OM-D vs Sony Nex 6 vs Fuji XE-1. I've watched dozens of youtube video reviews and read countless others...seems to me that I really won't be making a bad choice, especially between the Oly and Sony.

I have the Xpro 1 and also owned the OMD. The OMD certainly has the performance but the Fuji kicks it in image quality and Fuji lenses are much better than the Olympus.
    The OMD actually has a Sony sensor. Spring is coming I think I would hold off and see what new cameras are going to be out.
  • 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM
    fotomatix
    Greg, thanks for your feedback. I have been hearing that the zuiko 45 1.8 and 75 1.8 are very solid lenses with great results. I trust the superior image quality from the Fuji you are seeing is partly if not mostly due to the APS-C vs M43 sensor. I'm leaning towards NEX 6 at the moment but the lens selection is slightly concerning.
  • 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Greg, thanks for your feedback. I have been hearing that the zuiko 45 1.8 and 75 1.8 are very solid lenses with great results. I trust the superior image quality from the Fuji you are seeing is partly if not mostly due to the APS-C vs M43 sensor. I'm leaning towards NEX 6 at the moment but the lens selection is slightly concerning.

The Xpro also has focusing issues. The OMD is blinding fast and easily wins there. Plus IBIS. But I never liked the 12-50mm lens as it tries to be for stills and video. I think my choice would be the 25mm Pana Leica.
  • 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I have the Xpro 1 and also owned the OMD. The OMD certainly has the performance but the Fuji kicks it in image quality and Fuji lenses are much better than the Olympus.
    The OMD actually has a Sony sensor. Spring is coming I think I would hold off and see what new cameras are going to be out.

I think the Olympus is the better *system,* but Greg is right about the Fujifilm image quality. The Fujifilm X-Trans sensor produces the best image quality I've seen from an APS-C sensor camera. People are comparing it to full-frame sensors, although I've compared carefully I that's not really accurate. However, the fact that they make that comparison says a lot.

Greg also says, "spring is coming." In some ways, spring came in January, when Fujifilm announced the X100S (Fujifilm X100S Intro), with a new X-Trans sensor with embedded phase detect pixels along with improved processing. That camera promises improved auto focus and even better image quality. And I think it's a safe bet that the new sensor and processor will make an appearance in an X-Pro1 replacement before the year is out.

However, you can't take pictures with a camera you don't have. So don't put off a purchase unless you've already got something that can get the job done. Personally, I'd buy the Olympus because I like their design, features and system better. That said, the Fujifilm cameras are beautiful and if image quality is your number one criterion, than Fujifilm is probably the right choice.
  • 03-15-2013, 04:47 AM
    fotomatix
    Well I have finally gone to see the OMD and NEX 6. Obviously the 'style' and 'design' of the OMD leaves a lot to be desired from the competition. Also felt good in the hands.

It's almost been 1 year since it's release...or just about. When considering where the OMD comes up a little short, whatever in your opinions that might be; do we think the next 'version' or upgrade that would or could fix this, is significant enough of a factor for one to wait for the newer release?? Of course that could be in a year or more!!!!
  • 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
    geraldb
    I concern myself with new cameras only once every three or four years when I'm ready to buy a new camera. All the time in between I only think, "what am I going to shoot next?".
  • 03-30-2013, 08:41 PM
    fotomatix
    Just got my OLY OMD EM5 today! Taking my time to 'get to know it' and going through the extensive menu. Took a few quick snaps. Love the detail and sharpness. Took the new 12-50mm kit. Will add the 45mm 1.8 in the near future. So happy!
  • 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
    geraldb
    Quote:

Just got my OLY OMD EM5 today! Taking my time to 'get to know it' and going through the extensive menu. Took a few quick snaps. Love the detail and sharpness. Took the new 12-50mm kit. Will add the 45mm 1.8 in the near future. So happy!

You made the right choice, congratulations. The more you use it and get to know it the more rewarding it is.