• 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM
    Photo-John
    What M4/3 Lens Should Olympus Make Next?
    I'm pretty pleased with the lens selection Olympus has for the Pen cameras now. I took the 14-150mm, 9-18mm, 17mm and 12mm on my honeymoon in Italy and they worked very well. But there's one big hole in the lens selection for me - a fast, pro-level zoom. Specifically, I want Olympus to make a Micro Four Thirds version of the 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 zoom. That lens is so good and so versatile. If there was a M4/3 version available I know I would use it all the time, just like I do when I'm using the Olympus DSLRs.

So what would you like to see Olympus add to the Micro Four Thirds lens lineup? Feel free to discuss lenses for the other EVIL camera systems, too. But personally, I'm most interested in the Olympus stuff since that's what I use the most. I'm hoping to use this thread as leverage to get them to make that lens next :)
  • 08-12-2011, 06:57 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: What M4/3 Lens Should Olympus Make Next?
    Yeah I agree John if Olympus could get a 12-60mm as good as the 4/3rd version for the Pens they would have a huge advantage. I have yet to see a m4/3rd lens as good as the HG lenses. Maybe some big primes. 100mm, 300mm. But I really am not sure the Pens were originally intended for that market. I don't think the Pens will be the choice of wedding photographers or sports and wildlife shooters.
  • 08-13-2011, 07:20 AM
    Liz
    I agree about the 12-60! I would certainly consider this one. A bit lighter weight too! :cool:

I think they made a good decision with the 45mm/f1.8. I have one on pre-order from Amazon. I am hoping it will be comparable to the 50mm/f2 - my favorite lens of all time.

Liz
  • 08-13-2011, 05:08 PM
    Anbesol
    Like you, I'd like to see a fast zoom range. However, I think a 35-100mm range would fit my interests more, maybe like the 12-60mm, it could be an f/2.8-4 to accomodate the smaller size of the pen system. Then, the flange may allow a reasonable size for a constant f/2.8.
  • 08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Like you, I'd like to see a fast zoom range. However, I think a 35-100mm range would fit my interests more, maybe like the 12-60mm, it could be an f/2.8-4 to accomodate the smaller size of the pen system. Then, the flange may allow a reasonable size for a constant f/2.8.

Interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. I would still prefer the 12-60mm - a high-end walkaround lens. But the 35-100mm would be cool, too. I wonder how big it would end up being?
  • 08-16-2011, 02:30 PM
    SmartWombat
    constant f/2.8 14-140 ?
    macro prime ?

I use panasonic lenses though, coz I haveGH-1 as well so wanted OIS